Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Disable the BEEP on new Roku Ultra shorcut buttons?

What were you guys thinking?  Everytime I hit the 1 or 2 buttons a loud BEEP comes out of the remote.  Any way to disable this?

8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Disable the BEEP on new Roku Ultra shorcut buttons?

I really hope there is way. It's so terrible! It shouldn't make a sound. None of the other buttons do. 

Highlighted
Level 7

As a UX Designer, I am so annoyed with the beeping. It isn't consistent with any other part of the remote. 

Highlighted

I really hope we can 'make some noise' and get roku to take notice of this issue.

This is something that should be addressed. Their should *at least* be a setting to toggle the sound off.

Highlighted

Our roku recently got a system update. Looks like these awful beeps were disabled in that update.  If anyone else can confirm it it's been disabled for them as well. 

If you still have the beeps, check to see if you can download a system update in settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just set up my Ultra today. I got the latest firmware, and the annoying beep on the remote when I set the shortcut button. That is one awful idea!!! Why the **bleep** do I want the remote to beep, wake up the dog, and then tell me out loud what it's doing?? I know what it's doing, I set it up! I could see maybe verbally confirming it the first time you set up or change a shortcut, but after that we should be able to disable it. Please!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just received this remote today to replace the one that came with my TCL Roku TV. Can confirm that the beep is very much still a "feature" and still very much annoying. I can't believe someone programmed that in there and someone else heard it and wasn't immediately put off by it. Honestly the whole "custom shortcut" feature seems poorly executed to me. It should work exactly like the sponsored shortcuts...at least when that shortcut is just opening an app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

After update 9.3, there are 3 keys you can program a voice search to, of course only 1 & 2 are on the remote, but with help of aftermarket universal from UEI will give the third key. And there are no beeps coming from the universal, there is still a voice announcing the channel change. Of course you would need the voice search key from the wifi roku remote initially, after a doing a voice search, and if you like the results, you press the keys you programmed on the universal with 1, 2, or 3. 

So the models universal are the One-For-All urc-7880 or the Inteset 422-3, and there's the Insignia rmt-415. Using setup code 03061, the advanced codes are 1-00038, 2-00040, 3-00042. To map them to a key on the UEI remote:

1. press the device you're using for the Roku

2. press and hold SET/Magic for two blinks, release

3. enter 9 9 4

4. tap SET/Magic for one blink

5. enter five digit advanced code

6. pick a key

Repeat the above for other two advanced codes changing it in step 5

This only for roku stand alone streamers like Ultra, not Roku tv's. My roku tv hasn't updated to 9.3, so I can't search out for 1,2,3 on the roku tv code set. Once it updates, I'll search for sure. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

So the 1, 2, and 3 keys are the same for Roku TCL tv's using UEI tv code 14398. Same directions above to map the 5 digit advanced codes to keys on the UEI universal remote. This will only work once you have 9.3 upgrade. 

Edmund
0 Kudos