Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobS3
Channel Surfer

Disable audio buttons on side of remote

I have a Streaming Stick+ remote.  It has two audio buttons on the right side.  One is a toggle to raise or lower the volume, and the other is a mute button.  I use external speakers with a receiver.  Those buttons cannot control the receiver.  I hold the remote in my right hand, and it is very difficult not to press the side audio buttons without meaning to.  Each time I do it, I get an error message from my Sony TV because it thinks I'm trying to control the Sony's internal speakers.  I am sick of seeing the error message.  Is there a way to disable the buttons?  Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disable audio buttons on side of remote

No, there isn't feature to disable the keys once programmed in, and if there was one it would disable the tv power button too since they are linked. 

You can go into the settings to program the tv:

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv>

Now go through the steps and instead of stopping when the volume mutes, only stop when it doesn't mute, then click yes and it should no longer control the tv, volume, mute or power. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bfr22
Reel Rookie

The answer should say, YES, there is a way to make it so that accidentally pressing the volume buttons does not result in a popup warning on your TV.  The solution is given. Thank you! The solution is to improperly “program” the TV remote pairing feature which effectively disables the buttons as they no longer send any valid signals for your TV to respond to.  That disables them.

0 Kudos
wotnwabbit

In my opinion, a better (and permanent) solution is to take a razor knife and slice off the offending button(s) to be flush with the surface of the remote.

I have done this and it works wonderfully.

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I'm assuming if you do this the only way to control the volume is with the tv remote?  I am constantly hitting those buttons by mistake because I'm left-handed and hold the remote with my left hand.  It's natural for me while picking up or holding the remote to push those buttons by mistake.

swampbuck

Having the volume controls on the side is a design issue, I am always accidentally touching the buttons just by picking up the remote. Sometimes if it is on the couch beside me the remote can get pushed and the volume changes or goes mute. Frustrating. Do the designers of the remote even use them. The buttons should be on the top with all the other buttons.