Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGuyNewTricks
Reel Rookie

Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

I have a new Roku Ultra streamer with the new cool remote, like most i want to get to one remote, my dish remote could control the Denon audio levels and it just seems like the there should be a simple way to do this, like tell the remote that its controlling a TV.

i cant be the only one with using a projector in a home theater vs a TV and using HDMI audio to control it so any ideas would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

The Roku's power/volume controls can be configured to control TVs/AVRs;  however, this is dependent on how the Roku is connected, how the HT is connected, the CEC capabilities of the TV/AVR, whether the TV/AVR is on/off at the time the remote is programmed, etc.

You have the option of using IR or CEC as well using the advanced remote setup (dependent upon connection configuration and device capabilities).

Start with connecting it to your AVR, and see if the basic remote setup programs it for the AVR.   If not, turn the TV/Projector off, run remote setup again, etc.  

There are (hidden) advanced remote settings that can be configured as well, but try the basic setup first.

OldGuyNewTricks
Reel Rookie

Re: Controlling Audio Level with Roku Remote with Denon Av Receiver and Projector

Thanks for the input and maybe i am missing something but how can i run a setup process without being able to see the menu options when the projector is off.

The config is pretty basic, HDMI from the Roku to one of the inputs on the Denon and then HDMI to the projector from the output of the Denon. There are no additional audio connections to anything.

I also dont see where to switch to IR or another hidden menu is configured.  

Thanks in advance

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Assuming you had another display device, and were switching.

What happens when you run the remote setup?  What device does is try to setup?

0 Kudos
OldGuyNewTricks
Reel Rookie

When i go to the remote set up the first and only thing it does is give you a search box to search for the brand of TV, there isnt any automated process that i see occurring, its a limited set of TVs and there are no options for Denon or other AVRs

Ms95

Once I get there then what do I do?

I have a Denon avr-s760h.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ms95

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that Roku device remote do not support control of external audio products.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Galaxie66

I have a roku remote that controls volume on a Denon Avr, and switches avr input to the one that roku is on by pressing any button on the roku remote.  

RedneckBillyBob
Reel Rookie

Can you describe the process that you used? I have the AVR-X2300W.

I have the Roku Streaming Stick+ connected to my Aux input on the front of my receiver and I get 4k and full surround sound.

I can only select programs and setup my channels. The remote functions are working normally except for Volume up and down, Power On/Off and Microphone.

The non functioning buttons are the result of the Roku not connecting to my receiver.

Any help from anyone that has had success would be great since ROKU themselves say it isn't possible.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby aka Redneckbillybob58 

Monkeydust
Reel Rookie

It used to. After the latest "upgrade" it doesn't and I can't figure out how to configure it either