Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

Controller won't control Roku Stick 3810

I have a Streaming Stick 3810. Controller work fine with it. When I move the stick to another TV and reset it, the home screen comes up on the TV, it says "connecting" in the upper right corner for about 30 seconds then disappears. The time never comes up in place of "connecting".

At this point the controller will not control the Roku. I do not get any error messages on the TV. Nothing about not being able to connect to the WiFi, or that it cannot connect to the controller. Just the home screen with all my channels listed.

I also notices the that white light on the stick blinks twice then pauses, blinks twice again and pauses and repeats over and over. It is not just blinking on and off, but blinks twice, then a 2 sec pause.

I reset the the Roku several times and made sure I had good batteries in controller.

If I move the Roku back to the first TV, it works fine.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Re: Controller won't control Roku Stick 3810

When you reset a stick it loses pairing with the remote, each time. So just unplug the stick, plug it back in, when the roku is bouncing start pressing and holding the pairing key in the battery compartment, when it stops bouncing, release the pairing key for sec and start pressing it again until you get conformation its paired. You do not have to reset the stick just to switch it from one tv to another.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

I may be using the term "resetting" incorrectly. What I meant was pushing the little button on the stick to get back to the bouncing Roku. I do not believe that doing that unpairs the controller and stick. I am incorrect on that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Yes it does, that button is for factory resetting the stick, not only do you lose pairing with remote, but you have to resign in to each app. You never do Factory reset only when you have to, please believe me.

To get it to bounce just unplugging the power will do that.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

OK. Don't push the button. Got it. Now back to the original problem.

I have a Roku stick and controller that are paired and work fine on TV "A". But when I move the pair to TV "B" the controller is not talking to the stick. Symptoms that I observed:

1) Home screen is displayed on TV

2) I see "connecting" on the upper left corner of the screen that quickly disappears

3) I see "connecting" on the upper right corner of the screen that hangs there for a good 10-15 seconds, then disappears, but it is not replaced but the time which is what I usually see when things are working correctly.

4) The light on the stick blinks twice, pauses for 2 seconds and repeats.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ldesiano  Thanks for the note. It sounds like you may be encountering an issue with your wireless connection, and have also lost pairing to your remote. In order to troubleshoot the wireless connection issue, you'll need to follow the previous guidance to re-pair your remote to your streaming stick. Follow the instructions in this article to get your remote paired to your device once more: https://support.roku.com/article/208755708-how-do-i-resolve-problems-with-my-roku-enhanced-point-any...

In some wireless environments, you may need to try performing the steps a few times, and be persistent. You may want to reboot your Roku device if you encounter any issues pairing, and/or move closer to the Streaming Stick when trying to pair, etc. 

Once you've gotten your remote paired again, go to Settings>Network and try entering your network details again to connect once more. 

Let us know how it goes from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

I do think, as you suggested, I am having an issue with pairing. I've been testing with 2 pairs of Roku sticks and controllers. I've learned that when a transmitter goes off, the controller starts looking to pair with ANY Roku in the area and will connect automatically to any transmitter that will respond. I would have thought that once paired, a controller and transmitter would stay as a set, but the reality is that they lose their pairing and auto-pair on startup every time. So moving them from one TV to the other screws up the pairing and I cannot get it re-established when they are on TV-2, which was working up until a week ago.

Both automatically pair when I have them connected to TV-1. Neither will pair when I move them to TV-2. I followed the procedure in the article you referenced several times, which I had also done prior to posting with no luck. After each test, the light on the transmitter blinking twice, pauses for 2 sec, then repeats as opposed to blinking continuously.

Batteries are fresh. I push the pairing button on the controllers and the pairing light immediately comes on, but neither will pair. But as I said, if I bring the controllers back to TV-1 both controllers will pair with the SAME transmitter that is being tested on TV-2.

I reaped the test several times with both transmitters and get the same exact results regardless of which transmitter or controller I use. I also repeated tests on both HDMI ports on TV-2. The 2 ports are not located near each other.

I initially thought I was having an issue of dueling Rokus. There was a Roku and TV-3 just on the other side of the wall from where I am having the issues. I fact, at one point the controller connected to TV-3 instead of TV-2 which it was right next to. So I moved TV-2 15 feet away from TV-3 and closer to the WiFi router. BTW - pairing is not an issue with the controller and Roku on TV-3.

Last item is that the Roku was working on TV-2 up until about a week ago. I thought the transmitter was bad so I bought another. Turns out it was not bad.

So my first impulse is to throw the TV away and get a new one, but I don't understand how the TV controls what's going on with the controller and transmitter.

I have ordered an HDMI extended but not very optimistic.

Any thoughts??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

Anyone have any thoughts on my last reply? Problem has not been fixed and I've run out of tests to run to determine where the issue is.

Controllers have no problem pairing with transmitters on TV-1 but with no pair on TV-2.

Lots of details in my last last reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

I received the HDMI extender and it didn't change a thing.

Can anyone help me determine why I cannot get 2 Rokus and 2 controller not to pair on one TV but work flawlessly on another TV in the same WiFi network??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ldesiano
Level 7

Tanner,

Not sure if I am doing the correctly but I've added more information about my problem but have not gotten any responses from anyone. Have you seen my other replies?

0 Kudos