Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbricklin
Level 7

Controller problems

Just installed new Roku Streaming Stick. Everything is OK with the exception controller does not turn TV (Vizio) on. Browse, turn off workes. Went thru multiple instructions with tech.support, still no luck.Ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: Controller problems

"sbricklin" wrote:
Just installed new Roku Streaming Stick. Everything is OK with the exception controller does not turn TV (Vizio) on. Browse, turn off workes. Went thru multiple instructions with tech.support, still no luck.Ideas?

I'm going to presume you mean the remote when you say controller.  Which Vizio TV do you have.  I'm using ROKUs with 4-5 different generations of Vizios with no problems.  Their basic remote command set has been very stable over the years.  Remember that the remote is using IR for the TV.  The only quirk I've noticed is that after "sitting for awhile" I need to push the power button on the ROKU remote twice, almost as though the first press "wakes up" the remote.  Since it has a WiFi direct interface built in I just surmized that was a battery saving feature.  All that "wake up" talk is a guess on my part.  Any way, try two presses with a second or two between and make sure you're aimed at the TV IR receiver.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
sbricklin
Level 7

yes, remote, Vizio e241i-a1. But, it does turn the TV OFF, but not ON.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Smokindog
Level 9

"sbricklin" wrote:
yes, remote, Vizio e241i-a1. But, it does turn the TV OFF, but not ON.

Yes, presumably the remote has been "recently used" when it is on. Smiley Happy

What model ROKU?  Don't mean to be cruel but did you remove the protective film from the remote's IR blaster? Smiley Happy

Have you tried what I suggested?  See page 8 here for the location of the IR sensor.
http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/E241iA1W/UM_E241iA1W.pdf

Also, some Vizios in that era had the IR sensor pointed down. I've got one like that in my family room.  I've actually had to place a reflector under it to aid in "straight line" operation.
Stand directly in front of the TV and see if you can get it to work.  I'll bet you can.  We can work from there.

PS - did you try fresh batteries (again, just to eliminate the CAN control question).  When you initially did the setup, did you have to go beyond the first available command set? 
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note here. It's possible that your remote isn't configured to use the correct IR code for your specific model of Vizio TV. Many manufacturers use a variety of IR remote codes, which can sometimes cause a little confusion for universal style remote controls. I'd recommend going through the remote setup process for TV power & volume control, and try selecting different codes to see if this helps clear up the issue. 

See more information here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004786894-why-is-my-roku-enhanced-remote-not-controlling-volume-...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos