Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tresf
Channel Surfer

Re: Control Sound & Power through CEC

Yeah, I'm not sure why mine's not doing the same, my TV sends the CEC signal to the sound system without displaying anything on-screen.  This is different from how FireTV did it, where the TV would always show the volume indicator regardless.

At least we have the CEC working with the aforementioned steps!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

It's probably device dependent, both the TV and the AVR. My 4800 worked out of the box with my LG Nano85 TV and Yamaha AVR. No secret menu required. Even though CEC is a "standard", every company seems to implement it slightly differently. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092

@tresf wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why mine's not doing the same, my TV sends the CEC signal to the sound system without displaying anything on-screen.  This is different from how FireTV did it, where the TV would always show the volume indicator regardless.

At least we have the CEC working with the aforementioned steps!

The only on-screen indication I've ever had when changing volume is a graphic that the AVR sends back to the TV. My TV doesn't show the volume indicator when an AVR is in use. This is with CEC and ARC enabled on the TV. Doesn't matter if the sound is being controlled with my Roku remote, my Shield, or even when I plug the Onn 4K player in. They all show the AVR graphic that is sent to the TV as an overlay. If I'm on the TV itself (OTA broadcast for example), the TV itself does show a +/- indicator, but no volume level like it does if the AVR is turned off and the sound is coming from the TV speakers. 

Dan

Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

Hi, I went into the secret menu, changed for remote to control a receiver for sound, but the receiver ver does not show up on a list to have my ultra remote control receiver volume. Help

tresf
Channel Surfer

I updated my Roku and the option for CEC is in the main remote menu now, which is fantastic.  I no longer need to use the secret menu.

@Dumoch126 wrote:

Hi, I went into the secret menu, changed for remote to control a receiver for sound, but the receiver ver does not show up on a list to have my ultra remote control receiver volume. Help

Hmm... Mine talks to the TV, which talks to my sound bar.  Since my original post, I've upgraded both (I bought the same brand -- Vizio -- and now the volume indicator on the TV shows).  So in my case, the TV shows the sound bar, not the Roku, but my Roku is a separate device so I'm not sure if the setup is the same.

0 Kudos
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

Gotcha, my Roku is directly into my receiver, and then the receiver goes to the TV for the picture. I am trying to control the volume on my receiver, and Roku won’t let me

0 Kudos
tresf
Channel Surfer

Is it possible to switch it around so that the TV controls the receiver?  This is just a guess, but I would assume that Roku probably has better CEC compatibility for TVs than they do receivers.

0 Kudos
tresf
Channel Surfer

... for clarification:

Roku -> TV's HDMI port -> TV's ARC HDMI -> Receiver

0 Kudos
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

You are correct. That would probably work. Except I’m having a problem with my receivers port I may buy a new receiver. Looking at Denon s970h

thank you

0 Kudos
atc98092

I have had excellent experience with Yamaha AVRs. I can control the volume of the AVR using both the TV remote and/or the Roku or Shield remote (I have both connected on both AVRs). I did not have to do anything special on the TVs, Roku or AVR to make it work. Just ensured that CEC was enabled on everything in the HDMI chain. 

Dan

0 Kudos