Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Criosa
Level 7

Control Bose 700 volume with Roku remote

We recently replaced our Vizio Sound bar system with a Bose 700 Sound bar System.  The Roku remote controlled the On/Off for the LG TV and the volume on the Vizio Sound bar.   We have always been connected via Optical for sound.  I am trying to figure out how to set up the Roku to control the Bose sound bar in the same manner that it did the Vizio.  We have not changed any of the TV or Roku settings other than to set the sound bar device settings on the LG OLEDE8PUA to the Bose 700 system.  I have tried everything I can think of and I am out of ideas.  Any one know how to do this?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Control Bose 700 volume with Roku remote

You can not control any soundbar or av receiver directly with roku remote, all it knows are tv volume. You might be able to control the soundbar volume via hdmi-cec, but never using the optical cable. Attach the soundbar to the hdmi tv input labeled ARC. You might have to turn hdmi-cec on via tv menu. And via roku settings> system> control other devices> click 1-touch.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Funwithjay
Level 7

Re: Control Bose 700 volume with Roku remote

How did you get the tv to recognize the optical cable from the Bose?

0 Kudos
Gadget15
Level 7

Re: Control Bose vol/pwr, Roku Ultra and TV with a single $10 remote

I had a similar goal – I wanted to control a Sony TV, a Roku Ultra and a Bose Cinemate ii with a single remote.  Much of the literature I read discussed HDMI-CEC technology or HDMI-ARC…that didn’t end up making a difference for me.

The solution that worked for me was to use a remote from a manufacturer named One-For-All (remote model is URC7935).  Their website does a very good job of walking through the process of programming their remote to work with different equipment (seems like practically any manufacturer’s device could be controlled).  I liked that specific remote because

1. The buttons are larger and resemble ones on Roku remotes

2. It’s possible to teach each button what to do if desired (this will come in handy for power to Cinemate) and

3. It was available on eBay for $10. 

The website for the remote is https://www.oneforall.us/universal-remotes/urc-7935-streamer-remote.

I also found the following video pretty helpful: https://youtu.be/N-1A3_0YOEI although all this is covered in a few videos available on the manufacturer’s website. 

In the YouTube video referenced above, please pay special attention to the 7:10-8:30 portion where the author talks about programming specific buttons.  I assigned one of the bottom four buttons I wasn’t going to use to control power for Bose Cinemate ii.  In the end, I can use this one remote to control power to Sony TV, operate Roku (YouTube TV, Disney+, ESPN+, etc.) and volume/mute/power of Bose system.