Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Answers90

Connecting soundbar to projector with Roku express

How do I connect my Onn soundbar to my projector while using the plug in Roku express? onn. Roku Smart Soundbar   #projector

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting soundbar to projector with Roku express

@Answers90 

I gotta ask. Since a Roku Soundbar has built in Roku, why would you still use the Roku Express? Why wouldn't you simply replace the Express with the Soundbar? Fewer components, fewer things that can go wrong, same functionality.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Answers90

I didn’t know this, how would I hook up my sound bar to my projector then?

0 Kudos
Answers90

I purchased a random onn sound bar from Walmart, not knowing it had Roku built in. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Answers90 Your Roku Express has an HDMI port, right? And there's an HDMI cable running to the projector, right?

Well, the Roku soundbar has an HDMI port, right? You got it from here.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Answers90

Ok I’ll try that

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Answers90 wrote:

I purchased a random onn sound bar from Walmart, not knowing it had Roku built in. 

Oh. I saw the tag you gave indicating an onn Roku Soundbar, which is a soundbar with built in Roku under the onn brand. Check your original post. If that's not what you have, then ignore what I wrote.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

There was Onn soundbar with built-in Roku, it came with Roku remote. Walmart also sells Onn Soundbar for under $50 that doesn't have a built-in Roku, and so doesn't come with a Roku remote. It is Roku tv ready, which means it can be paired to Roku tv remote, but you have non-Roku tv, a Projector. So, the Roku tv ready feature is useless. 

A soundbar has to be connected to the Tv/Projector via audio output on the tv/projector. That could be via hdmi-arc or optical cable. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.