Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jade3388
Reel Rookie

Charter Spectrum universal remote starts ROKU player and changes TV input to ROKU player

Jump to solution

Using a ROKU Ultra 2020 4800X (Firmware says it is a 4800RW. It has latest update), a Charter Spectrum universal remote on a Sony XBR 55X850C 4K TV. The ROKU remote is "Paired", has "One button start" enabled and can control the TV volume.

After using the ROKU player, then changing the TV input to my cable box, any button I push on the universal remote turns on the ROKU player and changes the TV input back to the ROKU player. If I wait 20 -30 minutes after switching the TV input to the cable box and before using the universal remote, The ROKU player seems to be asleep enough to ignore the universal remote. That is a long time!!!

Any suggestions?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jade3388
Reel Rookie

Re: Charter Spectrum universal remote starts ROKU player and changes TV input to ROKU player

Jump to solution

I think I found a solution.

I took another hard look at all the electronics and decided that my Charter Spectrum universal remote was trying to control the ROKU player (Same/similar signal?). 

I started changing the Sony TV code (There were several) on the universal remote until I found one that let all the remotes work properly. Turned out to be the oldest code!

Everything plays nice now (Knock on wood).

Thanks for the suggestions

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Charter Spectrum universal remote starts ROKU player and changes TV input to ROKU player

Jump to solution

Go into the settings if the roku: 

settings> system> control other devices CEC> uncheck the 1 touch play box

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jade3388
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I like and have used that feature for a long time (This is my 4th player).

I apologize if you thought that was the issue.

The problem is that if I use the universal remote before the ROKU player goes into "Deep sleep" (20 - 30 minutes), using the universal remote wakes up the ROKU player which tells the TV to change input.

After the ROKU player has gone into "Deep sleep", you can use the universal remote normally.

Who wants to wait 20 - 30 minutes for that to happen?

Any other suggestions

Thank you

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Fine, but if you read the paragraph next to 1 touch play box it reads:

"Tell your TV to automatically switch its active source/input to your Roku on any remote key press"

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jade3388
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That description describes what enabling "1 touch play" does when you push any button on the "ROKU remote". Most of us have multiple remotes. Imagine what would happen if they all turned on your ROKU  player!

What I see is two different stages: "Stand-by" and "Off".

When you first quit using the ROKU player (and switch to a different input), the light goes out signaling the ROKU player has gone into "Stand-by". A long, long time (30 minutes?) later it shuts down completely ("Off"). I can then start using my other remote normally???

Still looking for a solution.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Jade3388
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think I found a solution.

I took another hard look at all the electronics and decided that my Charter Spectrum universal remote was trying to control the ROKU player (Same/similar signal?). 

I started changing the Sony TV code (There were several) on the universal remote until I found one that let all the remotes work properly. Turned out to be the oldest code!

Everything plays nice now (Knock on wood).

Thanks for the suggestions

0 Kudos
nmrn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just got a Roku Ultra and was having a similar problem with the Charter Spectrum universal remote, except the problem was when I tried to operate the cable box / DVR, that's when Roku would steal the TV's input focus.  Haven't yet found a code that solves the problem the way you did, but just physically moving the Roku Ultra box behind the TV and turning it backward so its IR receiver points at the wall behind the TV seems to be preventing any IR signal from the Charter Spectrum remote from triggering the Roku.  If anyone else is in the same boat and can't find a code to fix the problem, try physical isolation.

0 Kudos
DS12

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Go into the settings if the roku: 

settings> system> control other devices CEC> uncheck the 1 touch play box

This answer:solution just worked for me! Thanks 

bglasscoe

Jump to solution

This just worked for me too.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Anna11

Jump to solution

This same scenario happens to me also.

Is there a fix?  I’ve tried all other recommendations mentioned..

0 Kudos