Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Help

Jump to solution

It depends on the model Roku you have. If it's a Roku Stick of any kind, you can only control it with a genuine Roku WiFi Direct remote. And the same remote doesn't work on all Stick models. If it is any other model of Roku player, i.e. anything but a Stick, then you can use a generic IR remote that can be purchased almost anywhere. Just make sure the packaging lists Roku players as a supported device. 

There is one other potential workaround. If you can log into the new Internet router and have the proper permissions within the configuration, you can change the SSID and password for the WiFi to match your previous router. But both must be identical to the previous router. And don't perform a factory reset on your Roku or you are truly stuck without an actual remote. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
j_p_
Level 7

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

Yes, @Tnjensen10, I had followed exactly what you did! My controller just died one day.

New batteries 3 times, unplug stick, plug back in multiple time, etc. My biggest mistake was to follow the instructions in the troubleshooting guide that said to hit the reset button... big mistake! It rendered my $35 streaming stick completely useless without buying a new $20 remote. If I would not have hit reset, I would have at least been able to use my phone as the remote through the app, which would have been fine with me.

0 Kudos
franzeal
Level 7

Re: Remote won’t connect + wireless issue

Jump to solution

If Roku thinks I'll give them another penny they can think again. 

Instead, they advocate you buy another remote that costs far more than the thing's worth that will inexplicably stop working one day like the last one.  Screw that.

They could have made the firmware's default settings look for a default SSID + password for this very purpose.  They could have made the firmware support keyboard/mouse via an OTG+charge cable.

0 Kudos
wchillhowell
Level 7

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

They just cannot give us a straight answer!! I moved. Roku says "Not connected" I'm unable to use phone or remote to get Roku to settings so that I can set up wireless. We KNOW HOW to set it up, but we need to be able to manipulate the menu!?

0 Kudos
Sir
Level 7

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

I figured out a hack. Take and plug the Roku up to the Ethernet cord, and then download the Roku app on your phone and connect it that way and you will be good to go. 

0 Kudos