Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayd17
Channel Surfer

Can you use multiple private listening remotes simultaneously

Jump to solution

Hello I wanted to setup an projector on the porch of a cottage. There are neighbors nearby who probably wouldn't appreciate it if movies were too loud at night.

I was wondering if it would be possible to link multiple remotes on private listening so 2-4 people could watch a movie. I don't actually own a private listening remote and considering that they cost 30$ a piece I wanted to make sure they would work for this before buying them.

Thankyou

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can you use multiple private listening remotes simultaneously

Jump to solution

I don't believe so. The Roku remote would of course be one source you could connect a headset to. You can also connect to the Roku with an app on a phone (Android or iOS). But I don't know if more than one at a time can connect and listen privately. You could use the headphone jack to feed multiple headphones through a splitter, but I would worry about to things in that way. One is that you'd likely drain the battery in the remote extremely fast trying to power multiple headphones. The other is that connecting multiple headphones likely changes the impedance load on the amplifier and might damage it. 

Scratch that. I just connected two phones to the same Roku, and while they could both control only one could private listen. Once the first started listening, it disconnected the second phone. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
atc98092

Jump to solution

I don't believe so. The Roku remote would of course be one source you could connect a headset to. You can also connect to the Roku with an app on a phone (Android or iOS). But I don't know if more than one at a time can connect and listen privately. You could use the headphone jack to feed multiple headphones through a splitter, but I would worry about to things in that way. One is that you'd likely drain the battery in the remote extremely fast trying to power multiple headphones. The other is that connecting multiple headphones likely changes the impedance load on the amplifier and might damage it. 

Scratch that. I just connected two phones to the same Roku, and while they could both control only one could private listen. Once the first started listening, it disconnected the second phone. 

Dan

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you have a phone or tablet with a wired headphone connector you can use a 2 into 1 headphone plug to both listen through same phone.

Or maybe projector or TV has headphone socket which mutes speakers, same idea that way.

Not a Roku employee
atc98092

Jump to solution

I wouldn't split a headphone jack into more than two headphones, for the reasons I posted above.

Dan

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

On a voice remote, no. On a phone, yes, most phones/batteries more than capable enough.

Not a Roku employee
atc98092

Jump to solution

@MilesT wrote:

On a voice remote, no. On a phone, yes, most phones/batteries more than capable enough.

I tried using two phones, and only one was allowed to private listen. Once the first began streaming the audio, the second phone was disconnected.

And when I said only two headphones on a jack, it wasn't because of power draw. When you connect multiple speakers/headphones in parallel like that, the impedance drops. You can damage an audio amplifier by dropping the impedance too low, especially at higher power settings. 

Dan

jayd17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

Ok thankyou, I was afraid of that. I will probably be using an Roku streambar.  I am thinking about maybe trying to find some kind of system that would split audio from the Roku and then output it wirelessly somehow. Although I'm not entirely sure a good solution exists. 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

One phone, two headphones (with a splitter cable from eBay).

If worried about impedance drop, then you can get a small external amp to connect with a patch wire to one phone or remote, and take 2 headphone connections off the external amp instead (protecting the phone/remote).

Not a Roku employee
jayd17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@MilesT 

That's probably what I will do to start with,  Thankyou. Although, I am not sure what would happen if I needed more I suppose I could split the headphone splitters but that sounds kind of janky.

0 Kudos
jayd17
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I actually just tried the app and managed to get 3 devices connected simultaneously and it worked so maybe that will be ok. Theres a bit of lag but its probably bearable. Idk maybe it depends on Roku. Not sure if remotes would work the same way maybe be less lag?

0 Kudos