Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macbates
Level 7

Can't get rid of the Roku ad - unable to watch any channel

Jump to solution

Recently whenever I turn on Roku, an ad for Roku fills the screen and I cab't get rid of it. If I hit the 'OK' button over an over it finally switches to Amazon Prime, but all my other channels aren't available. How do I get rid of this thing? Very frustrating to see this full screen Roku ad with no way to get rid of it and access my channels. Can't find a way to contact Roku either, making this doubly frustrating.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't get rid of the Roku ad - unable to watch any channel

Jump to solution

I think I know what you mean now.  That sounds like it could be an issue with the remote like a stuck button or something.  What model of Roku (should be written on it somewhere) and what model of remote (written inside the battery compartment)?  Have you tried using the Roku app on your phone or tablet to control it?  Take the batteries out of the remote if you do.

One other thing, unplug the Roku's power for a few seconds and then plug it in again while observing what happens on your TV screen.  Maybe it will shed some light on what is occurring.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim

Jump to solution

I've never seen a full-screen Roku ad.  Are you sure it's not the screensaver?  Go into Settings->Screensaver and disable it.  Did you try pressing the Home or Back button on the remote?

0 Kudos
macbates
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yep, it really is full screen. When I power things on, a full screen ad for the Roku Express comes up playing a short video. Right after that it goes to a static picture (still full screen) showing the Roku at $24.95, with icons for a shopping cart and email. None of the buttons on the Roku controller do anything (Home, FF, rewind, *, etc). If I press the Home button several times quickly, then the Amazon Prime screen comes up. No way to get to the settings screen, since all I can see is either the Roku ad or the Amazon screen (pressing back or home on the Amazon screen goes back to the Roku ad). It's been this way for a month or so, although it's worked just fine for the past few years.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I think I know what you mean now.  That sounds like it could be an issue with the remote like a stuck button or something.  What model of Roku (should be written on it somewhere) and what model of remote (written inside the battery compartment)?  Have you tried using the Roku app on your phone or tablet to control it?  Take the batteries out of the remote if you do.

One other thing, unplug the Roku's power for a few seconds and then plug it in again while observing what happens on your TV screen.  Maybe it will shed some light on what is occurring.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
macbates
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's a Roku 4200X (had it a while!). Unplugging the power and plugging it back in seems to have fixed the problem. Now that you mentioned it, I do remember having to do this several months ago when the problem first started. A bit of a pain having to power cycle it prior to watching anything (takes a bit to boot up), but it does seem to have taken care of the issue. If history is any indication, the issue will reappear at some point in the future, so I just have to remember to do a power cycle to fix things.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos