Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chines
Reel Rookie

Can't get past "let's get started

Jump to solution

I bought the roku express brand new, hooked everything up properly, but on start up.. it won't go past the "let's gets started" part, I tried reseting it, getting new batteries for the remote, plugging it into a different wall, nothing is working.. the roku box itself blinks and then does a double blink, I searched it up but not still not having any luck, any help would be appreciated as my dog ripped up the box and I can't return it 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't get past "let's get started

Jump to solution

Hello @TheMom

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Chines

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found underneath the player itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
LibertyVillain
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. Was working fine yesterday afternoon, came home last night and Roku 3 was double blinking, remote not functioning. Unplugged unit, checked charge of batteries, then outright replaced them. Reconnected Roku to power and TV, nothing. Tried all the above, but also included pressing the reset button down on roku3 unit until it reset Roku on screen, but still had no control of remote. Also did the above, but included pressing the button inside the remote (in battery area) for 30 seconds, that didn't help either. Have been having issues recently with new Disney+ subscription not loading, but I can't even get remote to work, let alone check if Disney is working, so I'm stuck at the Let's Get Started screen. Any help would be appreciated🙏, as Roku has been my TV for ages since I 'cut the cord' to cable ages ago, thx! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@LibertyVillain, just to be sure, this is a Roku 3 model 4200?  If so, it's several years old and the remote could just be dead.  Since it's a Roku 3 you can use any cheap universal remote that supports Roku to control it.  You might want to pick one up at any big box store just to see if it's the Roku or the remote that's the problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LibertyVillain
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, 4200x. Thank you, I'll visit Best Buy and see if they have an appropriate remote. Just not sure if it's the unit itself, as it has a double blinking light. But that might just be the unit saying it can't detect the remote (as it's dead). Thanks for the input! 

0 Kudos
Fireeater

Jump to solution

I am having same problem.

Just bought the express 4K+.

Cant get remote to pair.

I am stuck at this point after reseting unit, pulling remote batteries, etc.

0 Kudos
Chines
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So I figured mine out, I had to point the remote legit an inch from the box for it to work, but once I got it connected to the internet I just downloaded the app on my phone and use that and it works perfectly  hope this helps anyone having the same problem 

0 Kudos
TheMom
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also have same problem.  Unit gets to internet, downloads update, blinks twice, flashes to green screen, and starts over.  Everything new.  Do I need a new Roku unit?

Roku express model 3960x

sn s0kc329k1vhx

Rober

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @TheMom

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

TheMom
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!!  We switched out the power adapter to one we know is better, and that solved the problem.  We were able to sign in and access the programs we want.  All good now.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos