Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SBcarshops

Can't connect to Streaming Stick, forgot remote

Jump to solution

Good evening, 

I'm on a trip and brought my Roku Streaming Stick + with me, but forgot my remote. Is there a way to access it with out it? I downloaded the app but it cant see my device because it's not connected to the hotel internet yet. And I can't seem to connect it, or find its IP address with out the remote. Im limited on data for my Hotspot so dodnt want to try connecting that wsy until I knew how to get the device to see my network too 

Thanks in advance, 

SBcarshops 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't connect to remote

Jump to solution

You're not going to be able to connect without a remote.

This is a stick that only connects to its remote via wifi-direct.  That means you can't use a readily available universal IR remote that supports Roku.  But retailers like Walmart do carry the Roku Voice remote that will work with your stick.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy

Jump to solution

You're not going to be able to connect without a remote.

This is a stick that only connects to its remote via wifi-direct.  That means you can't use a readily available universal IR remote that supports Roku.  But retailers like Walmart do carry the Roku Voice remote that will work with your stick.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jeb6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Roku remote app on my Android phone.  I use it at home with my streaming stick.  Can this be used in a hotel if you don't have the original remote?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Jeb6 wrote:

I have the Roku remote app on my Android phone.  I use it at home with my streaming stick.  Can this be used in a hotel if you don't have the original remote?

No. The app connects through WiFi, and the Roku has to be on WiFi in order for the app to see it. You can't use the app to connect it to WiFi. You have to have a remote. And for a stick, you have to use one of the Voice Remote devices ($20-$30 to replace).

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jeb6
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I brought my remote with me on the next trip. I was able to get set up in a few minutes.  How do I mark your answer as the correct one? 

I am setting in a another hotel. I cannot connect to the HDMI input as the back the TV is bolted so close to the wall I cannot access them.  Needless to say, I won't  be coming back here.  I forgot how lousy regular TV is.  The insipid, repetitive commercials. You can't restart a show.  You can't tell what is on as any guide or channel listing only tells you the name of the  channel, not what program is playing.  No search  capability.  We should post a list of hotel chains that are Roku friendly.

0 Kudos