Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Can a URC MX 450 Control a Roku Ultra directly?

I have a Home Theater system behind solid cabinet doors that is controlled by a URC MX 450.  I have just added a Roku Ultra, model 4670R, in the same closed cabinet.  Can my Mx 450 control the Roku Ultra directly by RF?  The rest of my components are controlled by the URC base station MRF 260 inside the cabinet that sends out signals via IR flashers.  Unfortunately all 4 output ports are utilized.  Since the Roku Ultra accepts RF signals from it's OEM remote, is there a way I can program the MX 450 to control the Roku directly by RF?  The MX 450 is fairly well known, so I'm hoping someone can help me with the programming.  There must be an easy way.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Can a URC MX 450 Control a Roku Ultra directly?

Sorry, but no. The only RF Frequency the mx-450 knows is its own, its RF universal remote that only controls IR components but uses its own RF to do it from afar.

The mrf350's are going cheap on ebay, will be able to control 6 devices.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Will my MX 450 signal the MRF 350 OK?  Same RF frequency as the MRF 260?  Any reprogramming of the MX 450 needed, other than adding the #5 port for the Roku Ultra?  You are the first with an understandable technical response to my question.  I figured there were enough MX 450's out there that they could talk to a Roku Ultra directly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

It would work with fine, probably better. You would need to go in to the remote menu and tell it its now working with mrf350. Make sure you purchase one that includes separate buy usually included rfx250 antenna, without it the mrf350 won't accept commands. The antenna on the mrf260 built-in.

If you don't want to deal with a new base station, just replace one of the repeater cables with one with duel head, use one IR out to control two different components.  something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Extender-Extension-Transmitter-Compatible/dp/B01HQ7MA8E/ref=sr_1_3?k...

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Good advice on the need for antennae.  I noticed some sellers showed it in their pictures while others did not.  On the dual head flasher, I noticed it says compatible with 38 kHz only.  The mrf 260 says it operates on like 418 MHz?  Or is the higher Hz just the RF signal to the base station and not the IR signal going down the flasher cables?

I will have to think about one port sending signals to 2 different devices?  I'm not sure if that would work.  My flashers go to:  1.  Cable box 2. Onkyo 656 Receiver  3.  Samsung 4K Blu-Ray  4.  Onkyo CD player  Seems like each of these needs to be controlled separately?  Thanks for your guidance on this.  I certainly figured many others would be in the same boat; guess not.  Google searches produce little on this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

38KH is an IR signal, has nothing to do with RF frequency the base station uses. Mx-450 only comes in 418mhz, where the mrf350 can be 418 or 433 which would be mrf-350i. What makes the mrf350i 433 MHz is the included rfx250i antenna. Both mrf350 & mrf350i can accept both frequencies by just switching out the antenna. Or have two antennas attached and receive both frequencies at the same time.

As for dual head, only one set of IR commands will be sent at a time, there shouldn't be any conflict. I would have blu-ray and roku share the same cable.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Got the picture.  Looking like the twin head flasher is the easiest to get me going.  Using it to feed both the Blu Ray and Roku is OK?  Won't one set of signals confuse the other device?  Or do Blu Ray and Roku have completely different types of signals where one would not foul up the other?  You have been a wealth of knowledge.  I have not gotten much out of URC. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Think about it, when are IR commands going to both components at the same time? Think of the repeater as universal remote pointed at your two components, you have to switch devices to control other component. All IR remotes spray the room with IR signals, only one of the components will react to right commands, the other components will ignore it.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Got it. I have a much better understanding now of how each component works. The dual head flasher is on order. Once here it should only need adding of the Roku to the MX 450 programming to get things running with the additional device with all it’s capability. Any chance u know of a YouTube video covering this specifically for a Roku Ultra?  Google only finds generic programming videos. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Sorry, never looked for programming help with remotes on YT. It would seem pretty hard to film with all programming happening on the tiny remote screen.

Edmund
0 Kudos