Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Roku Stick 3600x connect to the app without a remote?

This might be in the wrong category as the 3600x is older, and if so, I apologize.

In the last year or less my mom and I have become unable to use the Roku remote associated with the 3600x stick. We think it's an issue with the remote itself, as new batteries didn't get it to work. As we now want to use it again, I'm trying to find out what's needed.

My brother suggested the Roku app as a way to remote control the stick, but I don't know if there's a way to set the stick up first to enable the app to control it. I'm posting in hopes that this can be answered:

Do we need to buy a new remote to enable the 3600x to be used, or is there a way to connect it to the home network as needed by the app?

It's been some time since we last actually used it so I don't think it's connected to the Wi-Fi. It's just the screen saver when turned to the hdmi input channel.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku Stick 3600x connect to the app without a remote?

If it's not connected to Wi-Fi then you'll need a remote to get it connected.  You can get it out of screensaver by disconnecting the power (the USB cable) briefly and plugging it back in.  You can try the app - it will search for Roku devices and you might get lucky and it's already connected.

Try re-pairing the remote you have.  Find the paring button inside the battery compartment and press and hold it until the light on the remote starts flashing.  Depending on the remote the light can be on the front or back.  Yours is probably on the front since the 3600 is old.  Once the light starts flashing unplug the power from the stick (the USB cable) and plug it back in.  Just keep the remote near the stick and don't press any buttons while the pairing is happening.  You'll want good, fresh batteries in the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku Stick 3600x connect to the app without a remote?

A Roku can only use the cellphone app if its set to the same internet network & password as the cellphone. So, you will need a real remote to set the internet up on the 3600 stick. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.