Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lisa_v1
Level 7

Can I sync my Roku Streaming Stick+ Remote to my Sony Sound Bar?

I’ve been trying to sync my Sony Sound bar to my Roku Streaming Stick+ remote forever. I connected the Sound Bar to my Sony TV via HDMI and that still doesn’t work. The only reason we got the Roku is to have only one remote that controls volume. Now every time I wanna change the volume I have to get up! Ridiculous. Please help. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I sync my Roku Streaming Stick+ Remote to my Sony Sound Bar?

@lisa_v1 wrote:

I’ve been trying to sync my Sony Sound bar to my Roku Streaming Stick+ remote forever. I connected the Sound Bar to my Sony TV via HDMI and that still doesn’t work. The only reason we got the Roku is to have only one remote that controls volume. Now every time I wanna change the volume I have to get up! Ridiculous. Please help. 

Some Roku remotes can be used to control TVs via IR, but not sound bars or AVRs. Unless your sound bar has an HDMI connection to your TV, and both support HDMI-CEC, there will be no way for a Roku remote to control your volume. HDMI-CEC is the only way a Roku remote can control other devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lisa_v1
Level 7

How do I know is my TV & Sound Bar supports HDMI-CEC?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Roku remotes only control TV's directly, it is up to the tv to control the soundbar by hdmi-cec. Have your soundbar connected to the TV by arc or optical. Refresh the cec devices in your TVs menu. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@lisa_v1 wrote:

How do I know is my TV & Sound Bar supports HDMI-CEC?

First of course your soundbar must have HDMI inputs and an output. If it only have an optical input for your TV, then there's nothing further to check. If you do have HDMI, the output jack usually has ARC on its label, although that's not a guarantee it has CEC. For the TV, if it supports ARC (again it doesn't prove CEC support, it again is labeled on one of the HDMI ports. Also, there will be a menu option for CEC, although different brands label them differently. Samsung calls it Anynet+, and some do have CEC in the name somehow.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos