Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Can I disable the lower 4 buttons on the Stick remote?

@Guamguy wrote:

I will never purchase another ROKU product at all stemming from the remote. Great job!

Certainly your privilege, but I think that's a bit over the top solely because of the remote. The remote for my Shield is annoying, and Nvidia must have agreed since they redesigned it for their newly released model. But the player itself does so much I like that I can deal with the remote. 

The lower four buttons allow Roku to keep the player price at a lower amount. How much? I have no idea. Maybe $1, maybe $10. But in the business world cost matters. I'm more annoyed with the half screen advertisement than the buttons on the remote, but I spend so little time on the home screen it really doesn't matter to me. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Those stupid buttons on the remote is the single reason why I refuse to buy a Roku. I'd pay up for a remote that didn't have them, but it's not even an option. Way to not care about what your customers want Roku.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Correction to my prior post.  Roku does not have an available remote without the buttons.  I had found an 'official' replacement remote at Amazon but it turns out that only the images on the buttons in the pic were blacked out.  The description states that the buttons are pre-programmed, so they are still there.

I think Dan is right.  It's probably saving Roku some money, and in turn is why we're able to get such a great deal on these players.  As much as I get annoyed when I accidentally hit one of those buttons, I wouldn't part with my Roku's as a result.  I replaced an old Roku XD with a Roku Ultra, and then got a Roku Express for another TV.   It's also nice that additional channels are added on a regular basis. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I took mine apart and put a little rectangle of plastic film between the rubber buttons and the circuit board 

0 Kudos