Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5dnvr8
Streaming Star

Can I control the volume on a Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with Roku remote?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Our Roku Stick died; I moved a Roku Express to the big TV until we decide on a new streaming player. Pressing the volume buttons on the Yamaha receiver remote occasionally causes the Roku Express to pause. So, the Roku & the receiver IR must be close.

My question: will the IR on a Roku Stick control the volume on our Yamaha RX-V373 receiver? Our Roku device does plug directly into an HDMI port on the receiver. The Yamaha V373 does support CEC.

I found a thread that may have told me what we wanted to know but think I should ask anyway. The thread I am referring to is Can the Ultra remote control my receiver? According to this thread it sounds like we may be able to control the volume on our Yamaha receiver with a Roku remote, however, this thread refers mostly to the Roku Ultra remote. We want a Stick.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I control the volume on a Yamaha RX-V373 AVR with Roku remote?

Jump to solution

The Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro are pretty much the same remote except the Pro is rechargeable, so any remote that comes with a stick should do what you want.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
renojim

Jump to solution

The Voice Remote and the Voice Remote Pro are pretty much the same remote except the Pro is rechargeable, so any remote that comes with a stick should do what you want.

5dnvr8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I was not expecting the Roku remote to control the volume on the receiver, this is a welcome surprise.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tv volume directly, its up to TV to control the audio receiver volume by cec. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
5dnvr8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Roku remotes only control tv volume directly, its up to TV to control the audio receiver volume by cec. 

I don't have anything plugged into the TV except the HDMI out from the receiver. No toslink cable either. The Roku plugs into an HDMI port on the Yamaha receiver. I'm not concerned about controlling the volume on the TV, just the receiver. Hope I won't be adjusting the volume on the TV & Receiver at the same time.

The community thread I listed above states this:

• Assuming your Roku is connected directly to the Yamaha via HDMI, it should control the volume automatically. If not, ensure CEC is enabled on the Yamaha and One-touch Play is enabled on the Roku.

I am hoping it is that simple. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Thank you

renojim

Jump to solution

Basically, if you can get your TV remote to control the AVRs volume via CEC then the Roku remote which gets set up to control the TV will work the same way.  It's not the Ultra or the stick that has anything to do with controlling the TV's or AVR's volume.  The Voice Remote models are basically an IR remote that's strictly for controlling the TV paired with a Wi-Fi direct remote that's strictly for controlling the Roku device.  As far as I can tell no Roku device even recognizes when a TV control button on the remote is pressed.  It shouldn't matter if the Roku is connected to the TV or the AVR, but I have to admit that I don't use an AVR.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Then during set up for the Roku Stick, skip the part to program remote for your tv, by pressing home. Once the remote is set to program the tv by IR it can't be erased, only be programming for another tv brand. The remote can't be factory reset. The remote could be set to issue cec instead of IR, but Its's frowned upon on this site. Look up secret menu steps.

Edmund

5dnvr8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Then during set up for the Roku Stick, skip the part to program remote for your tv, by pressing home. Once the remote is set to program the tv by IR it can't be erased, only be programming for another tv brand. The remote can't be factory reset. The remote could be set to issue cec instead of IR, but Its's frowned upon on this site. Look up secret menu steps.

Hey, those are great tips!

Thank you

0 Kudos
Larrys1967

Jump to solution

That worked for me , thank you !

0 Kudos