Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fede136
Reel Rookie

Cable TV remote interferes with and launchs Roku

Jump to solution

Hello everyone. 

I don't think this has been posted before, and the solution I found in this forum for a kinda similar case didn't work for me. Here is the thing:

I recently adquired a Roku SE 3900 standard.  I'm from Argentina, and here the cable TV providers gives you a special remote control for their TV box (I'm guessing thi is pretty common).

My problem is that while I'm watching cable TV, as soon as I press any button on the cable TV remote, the TV changes sources from the HDMI port in which the TV box is connected to the HDMI port where Roku is connected. I guess there is some kin of interference.

So, long story short, any button I press on the Cable TV remote automatically launches Roku instead, and I the only fix I have found so far is to cover the receiver on my Roku device. 

Any ideas on how can I fix this? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cable TV remote interferes with and launchs Roku

Jump to solution

A couple of things to try:

• Disable "1-Touch Play" if your Roku SE has this feature. 
    Settings > System > Control other devices > 1-Touch play

• On the tv disable CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) if your tv is equipped with it.  Some tv manufacturers give their own name to this feature (common ones are Sony Bravia Sync, LG SimpLink, and Samsung Anynet+).

On some sets with multiple HDMI inputs, some ports may not have CEC, so try switching your Roku to a non-CEC HDMI port.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy

Jump to solution

A couple of things to try:

• Disable "1-Touch Play" if your Roku SE has this feature. 
    Settings > System > Control other devices > 1-Touch play

• On the tv disable CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) if your tv is equipped with it.  Some tv manufacturers give their own name to this feature (common ones are Sony Bravia Sync, LG SimpLink, and Samsung Anynet+).

On some sets with multiple HDMI inputs, some ports may not have CEC, so try switching your Roku to a non-CEC HDMI port.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Fede136
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ellen5

Jump to solution

Turning off the 1-click option solves the problem with the cable tv remote, but it also disables the Roku device from launching Roku; I have to manually change the input to the Roku HDMI. Is there a way for the Roku remote to start Roku when I hit the "OK" button on the Roku remote without turning on the 1-click option? Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Fede136
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

As far as I got to know, there is no way to do that. 

0 Kudos
JHKer

Jump to solution

Disabling the "1-touch play" in the Roku settings/system did the trick!

love3retrievers
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have turned 1 touch off, and it still keeps connecting.  I've tried unplugging the Roku then taking the batteries out of the cable remote, put them back in and put the remote in another room when I plug the Roku back in to try to prevent them from pairing but they still do.  I don't get it.  I've tried everything- turned of everything, unplugged everything and it still happens.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@love3retrievers 

You can't do a thing if your cable box uses a similar IR code set that the Roku uses, neither can be switched to alternate IR address. What you can do is switch your roku to wifi voice remote, and then hide it for the cable commands. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
love3retrievers
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think I finally did it.  Along with disabling 1 touch, I also disabled "Device connect".  I don't use any of the features, so it's fine.  So far, disabling that has worked - my cable remote is no longer connected.

0 Kudos
Coppertop

Jump to solution

I had the same issue and just figured out that my Spectrum Cable Remote was not setup for RF Control, it was sending IR signals that the Roku for some reason was seeing.  Once I did the RF remote setup it no longer triggers the Roku to wake up and take control of the TV via HDMI control.  I like the HDMI control to automatically switch the TV input, just saves a little time.

0 Kudos