Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 audio not working when headphones plugged in

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with my Roku 2. The remote is the original that came with it that has the headphone jack. Suddenly plugging in (known working) earbuds does not work for private listening.

I installed the Roku app on my Android phone to try that and the headphone icon does not appear. From what I read that means your device is not private listening compatible but it worked for years when plugging into it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku 2 audio not working when headphones plugged in

Jump to solution

Multiple people are reporting this problem and it seems to correlate with a firmware update.  I tried to summarize and consolidate with this post:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Bug-report-2720x-Private-listening-headphone-disab...

I've received two more updates since the problem occurred and there has been no improvement.

Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Bug report: 2720x Private listening headphone disabled by firmware update around 11/10/19

Jump to solution

Having this same problem.   Private listening works on my phone app but not via the remote headphone jack.  The volume buttons show that it is changing the headphone volume on screen but no sound at all.  Just some static when initially plugged in.  Tried other headphones and bm o luck but they work with my ipad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Bug report: 2720x Private listening headphone disabled by firmware update around 11/10/19

Jump to solution

Try re-pairing the remote to the roku, see if it works after that?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

I discovered this same problem this morning on my Roku 2. I attempted to reset the device to factory conditions hoping it would install the original sw.  instead it downloaded the latest sw and I still have the issue.  This Roku is now useless to me as I can only use it with headphones in the environment that it’s in.  It’s a shame.  I’ve been a loyal Roku customer since it’s original release 10 or so years ago buying multiple versions over the years and highly recommending them to others.  If this was a deliberate change I would be very disappointed and consider a new platform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I had plans to upgrade to an Ultra over Christmas and purchase Rokus as gifts, but decided against it since  it appears there is no guarantee private listening won't be disabled on other Roku models in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

having the same exact issue with roku 2. Have messaged RokuTannerD to please update us with the latest status.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Repairing did not work.  Power off, repairing etc. Also did not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Kjkorzen  Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're seeing here. I've shared this information with our team who is investigating the issue. We don't currently have an ETA or any potential resolution, but I will be sure to keep everyone updated as soon as I know more.

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Thanks for the comments here. We've reported this issue to our team and they are investigating.

To clarify, this feature was not intentionally disabled or removed—it appears to be a potential bug in the last release. We don't have an ETA on a fix at the moment, however, compatible device models can use mobile private listening via the Roku mobile app. This will provide the same functionality using your mobile device, as an alternative. You can check out how to use this feature here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

I'll be sure to share any updates that I hear to keep everyone informed. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos