Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

@CJC2020 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please send me with the following information through PM:
-Roku model and serial number of device having this issue.
-How long have you been experiencing this issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This post has been severely edited.  Just curious if CJC2020 did that or if it was Roku.  [post edited]

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Actually I don't see a way to edit a post, as a person doing the posting.  My above post/comment was directed at CJC2020's comment, prior to Danny's (Roku's) response.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

What a surprise!!!!  My private listening feature mysteriously started working again last night (after posting my comments earlier yesterday).  It's a miracle!!! 

Level 8

Jump to solution

P.S.

I did not alter or edit my original listing about Roku's arbitrary disabling of the "private listening" feature.  Apparently, there's something rotten in Denmark.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My private listening on Roku 2 is now working, but I have the same problem as wills2720 with the volume control.  I first posted about the headphone jack problem in January.  I'm glad there has been some progress on this issue though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku 2720x private listening has not been working for some time. I have update 9.2 and says it is update. Please help me fix the private listening. Thanks.

I can pm you the serial number if you tell me how to do that... thanks.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It's a long story, yeb22.  My private listening on both devices stopped working some time ago.  I have been reading the string of complaints re the dismantlement of this feature via the Roku folks incompetent (or maybe purposeful) screw up.  Most of my original comment about this situation was edited out very soon after posting.  My comments addressed the legality issues of this feature loss, and what the ramifications would be in case a formal complaint was filed with the California Department of Agriculture, Division of Weights and Measures were to investigate a consumer complaint regarding this issue.  There are legal sections in the California Business and Professions Code, and California Code of Regulations that address "bait and switch"; which is essentially what happened here, and how damages could be remedied and recovered through legal action.  There are other section codes that also apply, including "enticing" a customer to enter into a commercial transaction that they would not otherwise enter into.  Specific contact and jurisdictional information was stated in my original posting.  I am a retired consumer fraud investigator for that department in the California county where I live.

All of this information was edited out of my posting (by who? I wonder).  

The next day after my posting, I rechecked my Roku remotes and found that the private listening feature had been mysteriously restored.  The volume control still doesn't operate correctly, but the earphones now operate; and since I have a hearing disability, the louder volume, that does operate, is just right for me.  At this point, I decided not to pursue the issue any further, at least not for the time being.  There are DEFINITELY some legal issues applicable to this situation regarding the inability, or at least, the decision by Roku to NOT address the losses sustained by their many customers.  Criminal and civil violations apply. 

My advice to you is to keep a journal of every correspondence you make regarding this issue.  Dates, time, who you contact, and any other facts re this issue would show your diligence in attempting to have this issue corrected in a reasonable manner with Roku.  You never know how far Roku will let this issue go before addressing the situation in the end game.

And you should not have to buy anything extra, purchase a new Roku remote control, or purchase an upgrade to restore a feature that you legitimately purchased in the first place; and you should have every reasonable expectation that the device operates as originally advertised and offered for sale.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well said cjc.  I've been waiting on this thread for months and I still don't have any resolution.    Still no audio for me while others have apparently been "fixed" with no volume control.   This seems like it should be a fairly simple fix yet months later I am having the exact opposite issue.  There is no audio, but I can see the headphone audio control icon working on screen and I've tried multiple types of headphones with no luck. This hasnt worked since i bought the remote but does work on a smartphone app..  I'm happy to give any roku rep my device serial number so this can get fixed. I would like this remote to work as intended.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We expect this issue to be resolved in the new 9.3 OS update. Your player will update automatically once 9.3 is available.

If the issue is still not resolved after receiving the new 9.3 OS update, please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos