Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JazzyMom13

Re: Best remote for seniors to use with ROKU?

RCA has several streaming and ROKU compatible remotes. I purchased this RCA 5-Device Remote for my elderly mother https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-5-Device-Universal-RemoteStreaming-Player-and-Sound-Bar-Compatible/19.... The remote is larger than the ROKU remote, but it is a bit slippery to handle (I added stick on grip pads). Check the RCA website (https://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/remotes/) for additional options.

NikNanner

I recently purchased a Hisense Roku TV for my elderly family member who has dementia. The tiny Roku remote with volume buttons on the side is a poor design for him. The remote never works when he tries to use it due to unintentionally holding mute or volume down while attempting to use the up or down buttons. And the other buttons only further confuse him. 

He has a digital antenna that picks up over 50 channels on a clear day. So he only uses the Live TV option. And we found his old remote (that he knows how to use) works only on Live TV. So, I altered the Power On Settings from Home Screen to Live TV. The old remote’s power button luckily powers the Roku on and off - this is the only button that functions outside of Live TV. 

In the event it’s an option for others:

Settings > System > Power > Power on > Live TV (or any available input) > press OK to save selection 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Could the old remote have a punchthrough on the volume keys from another device on the remote? Like the aud or cable? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Put a suggestion into the suggrstion forum here on this website.

Not a Roku employee
Iona-D
Roku Guru

What does last couple of posts have anything to do with the physical/mental problems of the aged?  

Why don't you create a separate topic for your concerns.  Instead of "piggybacking" with unrelated topics and cluttering this one up.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

I wonder if a mechanical adaptation of the original remote (or any remote) would be possible.

I. E. a case that you slot the original remote into which has bigger buttons that mechanically press the original buttons, hides unnecessary buttons, has a wrist strap and back strap, etc.  

I have done something like that at the other end of the age range.. I wire the 3 main remotes I need to a small smooth metal tray to stop the small people in the house loosing them into the sofa cushions etc.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Absaroka

I am 79, disabled, and really do very much need a simpler remote with much larger keys. If AARP can offer us a Jitterbug, why can't ROKU offer us a STREAMBUG?

Sesykes71

I am having the same issue with an LG Roku tv for my 96 year old mother. I have managed to get most of the selections after TV boot up so she only has to press ok after it turns on. That worked for awhile but now she can’t manage it. I have ordered the EasyMote which has all the buttons she needs. All the others have too many and she can’t see well enough to read what they are anyway.  A previous post mentioned setting the TV to go to live TV after turn on, I don’t think hers has that option. If I can’t get the EasyMote to work, I am going to send the TV where it belongs, a dumpster (recycling) because it is of no use to her. I will replace it with a non Roku TV.

spiritlove74
Reel Rookie

Maybe try the voice control remote. You’ll probably have to teach him how to use it, but once he learns he’ll be addicted to speaking to the remote. 

KLewis
MsDebbie

Have been searching for the same. The ONLY semi-suitable remote I have found is for the Sony Bravia TV because it has some length to it, but still not ideal. It may not even work for Roku. 😞 Roku needs a larger remote as an option for consumers with disabilities as well as seniors.

0 Kudos