Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathanp
Level 7

Re: 3800 remote eating batteries

Correct, I was referring to the option Safari gives on my iPhone, to "request desktop website" instead of the mobile version. It's the left side of the URL area, where you can also toggle reading view and a couple of other things, depending on the site.

It appears that the mobile version of the Roku forums is missing some functionality. Even on the "desktop website" it is hit-or-miss whether the envelope appears on my phone.
0 Kudos
FeMaster
Level 9

Re: Battery Life on Remote

@jeff_net wrote:
Headphones/Earbuds.
I like to use them so as not to wake my wife. Only lasts several days, then needs brand new set of double A's. Why it is taking Roku so long to release a rechargeable remote is beyond common sense I guess.

I'd prefer that they leave it the way it is so that people have a choice. If someone wants to use regular alkaline batteries they can, and if they want to use rechargeable, they can do that too. Would just have to invest a small amount of money on a 4 pack of rechargeable batteries and a charger, that way you will always have a charged set ready to go.

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

I would agree except I thought I read in the instructions for

the remotes that you cannot or should not use rechargeable batteries.

Is this one of those "but it works" kind of things or are rechargeables really supported?

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

Re: 3800 remote eating batteries

Ah, I have no iphone experience. Thanks for clarifying. I do see

the bell and envelope icons on my standard desktop computer.

Seems as was stated that it's a problem with mobile android.

Thanks

0 Kudos
FeMaster
Level 9

@jeff_net wrote:

I would agree except I thought I read in the instructions for

the remotes that you cannot or should not use rechargeable batteries.

Is this one of those "but it works" kind of things or are rechargeables really supported?

Honestly, didn't look at the actual instructions for the unit, but have had my Ultra for a couple years now and rechargeable batteries have worked fine for me. I use "high output" style, which seems to be the consensus as to what should be used. I did some quick research just to see what others have experienced, and it seems that it is a toss-up for some. It seems that most of people that had problems with using rechargeables in the remote were those that had the Roku TVs (TCL, etc.).

About the only reason I can see that they would say not to use them is because rechargables actually have a lower voltage than standard alkaline batteries (1.2V each vs 1.5V). It's possible that this could have and adverse effect on the operation, especially if someone was to use the headphone jack.

0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra remote unreasonable battery drain

There must be some secretive resolution since we all cannot benefit from an open discussion.

0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Based on the alkaline battery performance I've enjoyed, which is no joy BTW, I'd expect a rechargeable battery will not perform well at all.

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

Fair enough. If I thought it would work, I'd try it. I am using earbuds though.

That's really what's killing my batteries. Roku is sending me new remotes to try.

I have misgivings about whether that will help or not. They have already sent me a

new remote a year ago. I still think they should have  remote in the cradle kind of thing.

We'll see how these new remotes behave, but even if they last two weeks instead of two

to four days, that still won't be worthwhile. So, again I have serious doubts as to whether

new remotes will fix anything.

thx

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

Fwiw; the solution for me is to use my android phone as the sound conduit.

I plug my earbuds into my phone and the phone into the charger, and run the roku app

and turn it into a remote. But, I use the real remote to surf the channels and without the headphones

attached, the batteries last fine. So, this is a reasonable workaround for me even if the new remotes they are sending me still eat batteries. I'm ecstatic about the Roku app. It literally solves my problem.

0 Kudos
Angieggg
Level 7

We have two devices that every two weeks we have to replace the batteries... they are likely remaining on when the device is off ... How do we go about getting replacements?
0 Kudos