Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avohlman
Level 7

Re: Battery Life on Remote

I believe the problem is with a certain batch of remotes. I was replacing my batteries every week to two weeks. I messaged with Roku customer service and they sent out new remotes. I just now checked the battery level in the Roku settings, and after 2 weeks of use, the new remote still shows 96% battery life. Thanks Roku for taking care of my remote issue.
0 Kudos
FeMaster
Level 9

I've got a 2016 model Ultra. The remote is heavily used (no headphones) and batteries last 6-months plus. I guess my question to those with this 'dead battery' problem is: Are your batteries REALLY dead; have you checked them with a battery tester?

The reason I ask is because I have a problem with my remote where the remote and Ultra loose connection fairly frequently, generally every couple days, but on occasion it does happen a couple times a day. Sometimes it goes for a couple weeks, there seems to be no consistency to what or why, it just does. To fix this problem, I have to remove the batteries for about 30 seconds, reinstall them, and then hold down one of the buttons on the remote until the Roku starts to respond again.

Perhaps this is what is happening to some in here and they are mistaking this problem as being dead batteries instead of what it really is, a connection issue.

0 Kudos
nathanp
Level 7

Brand new package of Duracell AA’s. They’re completely dead, drop-test, and confirmed with a battery tester.

I’ve had this Streaming Stick+ for 2(?) years, and I replaced the batteries for the first time after about 9 months, second time after about 9 months, now I’m lucky to get a full 2 weeks out of a pair.

It has to be related to a “recent” update, in my opinion. The remote was just fine at battery life until 4-6 months ago. I put new batteries in my remote 4 days ago, and it’s showing 70% right now. Absurd.

I’ve used different brands of batteries, different packages. I’ve done a factory reset. Roku 3810r v9.1.0 build 4919. Remote RC128 firmware v2.01.19.108. Checking the software version and build, my remote is now at 64%. Unsatisfactory for any product.

0 Kudos
Flounder
Level 7

Yea I tested mine with a mutli-meter...every time beyond dead. Also used the screen battery report and it showed a steady drop over a few hours. I think 4 hours in the brand new batteries were at 73%. I suspect this has to do with some type of an update that was pushed.

Anyway I sent a PM to RokuDanny as he had requested from a few others earlier in this thread, will see where that goes. 

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@nathanp 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DonMaurer
Level 7

Did anyone ever get you an answer that helped? I have 7 Roku Stick products, 5 Roku+ and 2 Premier, and I have to put in new batteries in every one of them every two weeks, sometimes every week in some of them. It's costing as much in batteries as cable was! I've read lots of comments and replies in this post, but don't see any answers to solve the problem. If this is not solvable, I'm going back to cable. Did you get any advise that helped?

0 Kudos
nathanp
Level 7

I pm’ed RokuDanny per his message above (with my Roku serial number and account email address), and I was contacted within the day by the customer service team. They are shipping me a replacement remote. I can’t say whether the new remote will be better or not, but based on the response and replacement, I think they must know of a defect in a batch/version of the remotes. I’ll try to remember to circle back here after I receive my replacement.
0 Kudos
IronMike
Level 7

I can't tell if my issue is similar or not. 

I have a Roku Ultra, 4660X, v. 9.1.0 build 4919-46. 

Daily we have to pull out the batteries and re-insert them. We'll point the remote at the Roku and TV, and nothing will happen. Thus, the batteries out-and-in thing. Then it'll work. Oh, and we don't have to press the remote sync button or anything like that.

But during playback of a show, no matter if it is Prime, Hulu, Netflix, YoutubeTV, doesn't matter, no one touching the remote, it just sitting on a table, and the remote symbol will show in the upper right corner of the TV screen. 

We don't have to put new batteries in the remote that often, not like I'm reading in here. It just seems to lose sync? BTW, this is our second remote. We bought a brand new one from Roku a month or two ago. No change. Still have to pull out and reinstall the batteries every day. 

And no, no headphones installed in the remote. In fact, while writing this, the remote symbol came up on the TV screen and showed red like the batteries were losing strength. Then a couple minutes later the symbol came back up and the remote was all green. 

0 Kudos
FeMaster
Level 9

@IronMike wrote:

I can't tell if my issue is similar or not. 

I have a Roku Ultra, 4660X, v. 9.1.0 build 4919-46. 

Daily we have to pull out the batteries and re-insert them. We'll point the remote at the Roku and TV, and nothing will happen. Thus, the batteries out-and-in thing. Then it'll work. Oh, and we don't have to press the remote sync button or anything like that.

But during playback of a show, no matter if it is Prime, Hulu, Netflix, YoutubeTV, doesn't matter, no one touching the remote, it just sitting on a table, and the remote symbol will show in the upper right corner of the TV screen. 

We don't have to put new batteries in the remote that often, not like I'm reading in here. It just seems to lose sync? BTW, this is our second remote. We bought a brand new one from Roku a month or two ago. No change. Still have to pull out and reinstall the batteries every day. 

And no, no headphones installed in the remote. In fact, while writing this, the remote symbol came up on the TV screen and showed red like the batteries were losing strength. Then a couple minutes later the symbol came back up and the remote was all green. 

What you are stating is exactly the same issue I have with my Ultra (4640X). My unit is far out of warranty, so I have to assuming there is going to be no free resolution to my issues.

In recent months I haven't had the remote symbol pop up any where near as often as in the past, and the remote has been behaving itself a little better. I have only had to do the battery in-and-out on average of once a week lately.

Because the remotes that come with our units use WiFi Direct for a connection, I'm curious if the problem we have is related to how many and how strong all the WiFi routers are in our area. The only thing I can think of is if there are a LOT of really strong WiFi routers/access points in the area, they may end up knocking out the connection between the remote and Ultra. It's just a theory of course, I have no proof of such, but it makes sense to me anyway. I'd assume the remote would be running a very low power WiFi signal, in comparison to local routers, in order to conserve on batteries.

Anckers
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra remote unreasonable battery drain

I am having a similar, if not worse, issue with my recently purchased roku ultra's remote and it may be the very most infuriating, perplexing and disappointing experience i have ever in my 45 yeats of life experienced with any product. New batteries are completely drained in a day or two. It is pathetic that i have been pleased to have gotten 3 and a half days out of the latest pair of brand new batteries , which i attribute to the fact that i purchased the extended life higher quality batteries this week, as a test. They are only just dying now, Sunday, and I've used them since Thursday! I purchased the unit on Amazon, refurbished, after reading through hundreds of highly rated reviews on the quality of the refurbished units purchased by others. i need to check if a warranty applies in this case - i hope so? So, aside from the batteries draining, even before they drain, it often stops working momentarily out of nowhere, at which point i need to remove the batteries and put them back in and it starts working again, but this often has to be repeated numerous times whilst in the middle of watching something.. Now, i saw some posts noting that if you are not using the headphones (main reason i went with the ultra version!), then it should not be the case that the batteries die so quickly. Is this to say that using the headphones, a key product enhancement for this model, renders the battery life doomed and effectively the unit completely compromised for normal use? And further, I've seen "movement" mentioned as a possible factor in draining the remote quickly due to its communciation with the unit. Seriously, it is a remote and i am constantly picking it up and using it to change what I'm viewing, change volume. etc. I am at my wit's end and have been so extremely pleased with Roku in the past. Any other insight or help on this, specifically given the wrinkle that i intend to use headphones, and handle/make movement with the remote very often, is appreciated
0 Kudos