Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Battery Life on Remote

@Avohlman wrote:
Hello. What is the deal with these Roku remotes?? Batteries are constantly dead.. I have to replace batteries about every week to 2 weeks. This shouldn't be happening.

Thank you

Does your remote have a headphone jack, and if so do you use it? If the headphones are plugged in when not being used, the audio amp in the remote remains powered up and will drain the batteries very fast. If this isn't the case, then you likely have a defective remote. The batteries in my Ultra probably last 6 months or more. But I will admit it's lightly used. But my Sharp Roku TV is used daily. Its batteries also last a long time, but then that remote doesn't use WiFi direct, so it has a lighter load.

What model Roku do you have? If it's an IR only remote, the batteries should last a very long time. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Bob_CV @Avohlman 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please feel free send me a PM with your Roku account email address, including the device model and serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up with you directly from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MEMOM
Level 8

You can buy batteries at dollar stores! I have a dollar tree in my town.  If you are buying them that often it would be worth it. This sounds like a defect for sure. I bought the stick I think you have and it immediately was over heating! I got some scary message on my screen. I think these models have defects. I was considering buy the plus model but am bit scared to try now.

0 Kudos
Avohlman
Level 7

I don't care how cheap you can buy batteries.. If that's the solution that you choose, more power to ya. The remotes are obviously defective when they chew through batteries in two weeks or less. I am going to give kudos to Roku... They are making good on their warranty and taking care of the issue. I just received 2 new remotes that they replaced due to the battery issue. They know there is an issue, and they are making an attempt to fix it. Hope the new remotes are better than the originals.
0 Kudos
MEMOM
Level 8

Of course. I said it is defective but these warranties are VERY short and many people are way out of them. I got a firestick and the warranty was like 30 days. It is very hard to get ahold of Roku too. VERY hard. I had a Roku Stick and day one it was over heating. They gave me NO solution. All I could do was return it. They had no intention of fixing the problem themselves. I wasted a lot of time chit chatting. And they know the Roku Streaming stick has a massive over heat problem. That is why they offer to send the extender out for free.
They do not even have the Streaming Stick on their website anymore! I guess because it is defective. Now they only have the Plus version.
But if someone is stuck with the remote then they can get cheap batteries.

0 Kudos
Bob_CV
Level 7

@MEMOM wrote:

Of course. I said it is defective but these warranties are VERY short and many people are way out of them. I got a firestick and the warranty was like 30 days. It is very hard to get ahold of Roku too. VERY hard. I had a Roku Stick and day one it was over heating. They gave me NO solution. All I could do was return it. They had no intention of fixing the problem themselves. I wasted a lot of time chit chatting. And they know the Roku Streaming stick has a massive over heat problem. That is why they offer to send the extender out for free.
They do not even have the Streaming Stick on their website anymore! I guess because it is defective. Now they only have the Plus version.
But if someone is stuck with the remote then they can get cheap batteries.

90 day warranties on consumer electronics is not that unusual, but (at least in my case), even though I was out of the 90 days, I had first notified them of the problem within the 90, but it took a couple more months to confirm the problem (in my case, the rapid battery consumption was conclusively diagnosed to the controller).  The folks at Roku were very prompt at responding to my posts with a request to PM them, which I did, and they promptly provided me with a new controller.  While I cannot confirm that the new controller does not also have a flaw (too new), I can confirm that I have a total of 3 Stick+ models where 2 of the 3 work just fine.  I also have several other models of the puck type and I've never had a problem with any of those.  I've had no overheat problems with any model and I personally had no problem finding the advertising for the Stick on their website just now (they still do carry and sell it).

That all said, I can certainly agree that, generically speaking, many consumer products are just far easier to replace rather than diagnose and correct.  I guess the ROI is far too great and the "hit" to the product brand is apparently not enough to do anything about.  In the end, sorry to hear about your poor experience.  I can only say that mine was fairly good.

0 Kudos
Rob-Bob
Level 7

Re: 3800 remote eating batteries

I have the same problem as of a few days ago.  Now new duracells are shot within hours with minimum use.  I must put them in, use the remote, then take them out.

Not being tech savvy, I don't have nor do I desire to have some app on some device to do what my remote should do reliably.

Any clues?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Rob-Bob wrote:

I have the same problem as of a few days ago.  Now new duracells are shot within hours with minimum use.  I must put them in, use the remote, then take them out.

Not being tech savvy, I don't have nor do I desire to have some app on some device to do what my remote should do reliably.

Any clues?

I would guess the remote is defective. There's no way it should eat through the batteries that fast. I go many months without replacing mine. Tomorrow the Roku forum managers will be online, and they will most likely reach out to you to help. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Rob-Bob

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Flounder
Level 7

I wonder what's changed. We used to go months (or more) before we needed to replace the remote batteries, now we don't even get 24 hours. :-(

0 Kudos