Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wrcallow1232
Level 7

Battery Eater

[post merged with already existing thread]

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ and this is the second remote we have for it. The first one it’s completely stopped working for no reason, so we contacted Roku and they sent us another one. This one was working since we got it in May and we’ve gone through 3 sets of batteries in the past month and a half. Please help. We are going to go broke with all the batteries we have to buy!

grey2121
Level 7

Re: 3800 remote eating batteries

I have the same problem with my remote eating batteries.  How do I PM you? Thanks

0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

Re: Battery Life on Remote

Headphones/Earbuds.
I like to use them so as not to wake my wife. Only lasts several days, then needs brand new set of double A's. Why it is taking Roku so long to release a rechargeable remote is beyond common sense I guess.
0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

The answer for me was the Roku android app. I can plug my ear buds into the phone

and use the Roku remote app. I just keep my phone plugged into power.  Also just an fyi about setting

it up. The app couldn't find my Roku 4 box. It only detected the other two Roku 3's in the house. The reason was that there is a setting on the Roku 4 to allow remote control. I forget exactly the path, but under System/Advanced, I think. Then the Roku 4 showed up and I was happily and finally using the earbuds without destroying two AA batteries in two days in the process. Also nice thing is that I still use the real roku remote to change channels as that does not use much battery. I just have the sound going through my phone so as not to trash the roku remote batteries.

0 Kudos
Flounder
Level 7

Yea the app works well and that's what we've gone to. Ipads and smart phones, they are just not as convenient as the remote itself.

The answer on the remote was to buy a new one. Now what we have is a Roku2XS that we first started using in 2013 so the remote really didn't owe us anything. It was just weird how it suddenly started eating the batteries so fast. I was thinking it might have been part of an update gone bad. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@jeff_net wrote:
Headphones/Earbuds.
I like to use them so as not to wake my wife. Only lasts several days, then needs brand new set of double A's. Why it is taking Roku so long to release a rechargeable remote is beyond common sense I guess.

If you leave the ear buds plugged into the remote all the time, the audio amp in the remote remains powered up. This will drain the batteries as you mentioned. If you unplug the ear buds when not in use, the battery life will be greatly extended. But still, you're running an audio amp in the remote along with keeping the WiFi radio energized, which requires far more power than just activating the WiFi radio when a button is pressed. Heavy use of the ear buds will naturally consume the batteries faster, although not in just a few days. But I agree that a rechargeable remote would be a welcome option for people that use the earphone jack regularly. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Flounder wrote:

Yea the app works well and that's what we've gone to. Ipads and smart phones, they are just not as convenient as the remote itself.

The answer on the remote was to buy a new one. Now what we have is a Roku2XS that we first started using in 2013 so the remote really didn't owe us anything. It was just weird how it suddenly started eating the batteries so fast. I was thinking it might have been part of an update gone bad. 

The 2 XS has a unique remote that no other Roku ever used, then or now. It used Bluetooth for connection to the device, rather than WiFi or IR. But it does also support an IR remote. The 2 XS was released in July 2011, so it's ancient in electronic years. I have two, and they haven't been hooked up for at least a couple of years, simply because they are so out of date. Completely unusable for YouTube, and now officially a legacy device and unsupported by Roku. It hasn't received any updates that would cause the remote to begin eating batteries. It sounds more like it has simply begun failing. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
jeff_net
Level 7

I think the combination of firmware and hardware versions are greatly involved, especially for those whose remotes eat batteries without using the headphones. It seems universally accepted that using the headphones eats batteries...period. So the best battery life for earphone use one can hope to achieve is by disconnecting the earbuds when not in use. But for me that really didn't get me much anyway. I get about three nights if viewing with headphones in use. So the app for me is a Godsend. I don't find it any more difficult to use because I still use the real remote to change channels, as without the headphones connected to the real remote, the batteries last for months as they should. I wasn't sure if both the real and the virtual phone remote would function at the same time, but thankfully they do.
0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

I always unplugged the ear buds. I only got about two to four evenings worth of earbud use before the batteries always died. So for me, unplugging would not have mattered much even though I did anyway. It was and is impossible to "greatly extend" the battery life.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@jeff_net wrote:
I always unplugged the ear buds. I only got about two to four evenings worth of earbud use before the batteries always died. So for me, unplugging would not have mattered much even though I did anyway. It was and is impossible to "greatly extend" the battery life.

Bummer. But I had to suggest it, just in case.

Dan
0 Kudos