Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Batteries and Black Screen

I have a TV that’s a couple of years old. I bought a new Roku stick a couple of months ago as the old one stopped being supported. Pretty much since I got the Roku setup, the remote was very sketchy. Very often it doesn’t work at which point I have to take the batteries out and play with it before it starts to work again.

Then today I turned on the TV and a couple of the buttons worked but not all of them. I turned off the tv and unplugged the Roku stick to reset. When I plugged it back in, the tv was black and there was some weird noise like Roku was trying to refresh, but nothing happened. Unplugged everything again to reset and the same thing happened. Is there any advice on either issue?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Batteries and Black Screen

@oconnelldan33 

Thanks for the post.

What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey Danny, 

Our model number is 3810x and it’s a Roku streaming stick. It’s plugged in through the provides cable and then plugged into the HDMI outlet on my tv. 

After the black screen today, I unplugged it from the tv and left it unplugged for a couple of hours as I went to run errands. It’s still plugged into the wall though. I noticed as I write this that the usb connector to the tv is fairly warm to the touch if that means anything.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Update:

We plugged the Roku back in and it seems to be working fine. Apparently it was just a momentary blip. If there are any tips on the remote and why we need to take the batteries out about once a day to get it to work, that would be helpful. There seems to be a bad connection there in the remote. 

0 Kudos