Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newtsche
Level 8

Audio control with Roku

Greenest green newbie here, floundering with audio control.  This Roku support page may well have the info I need, before I dig into it, trying to make sure there isn't some problem I'm missing.

Roku support page - 

https://support.roku.com/article/115013 ... ol-your-tv

We have Charter/Spectrum, they want me to work with Roku.  I bought a streaming stick for our small kitchen Insignia tv, works well.  Most importantly, the Roku remote turns the tv off and on and controls audio. 

So I bought a Roku Ultra 4k with enhanced remote for our main Panasonic Viera plasma smart tv, hardwired via ethernet cable.  With Roku fired up, on home page, going to SETTINGS>REMOTE>Set up remote for TV control it says tv control not supported by my remote.  Thinking the remote was bad, I got a Roku 4, same problem.

The Panasonic has built in bad speakers.  For my cable signal, I turn the Pany speakers off and run an optical audio cable from the audio receiver to the cable box. 
With the Roku HDMI to TV hook up, the tv internal speakers are the audio source, not controlled by Roku remote.  Optical from Roku to audio receiver gives good sound but also no remote audio control.

To control my audio with the Roku remote, does the above support page tell me everything I need to know?  I can't get past the initial "remote doesn't support tv control" so I can't get deeper into the instructions.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Audio control with Roku

Remotes included with Roku 4 and the original Ultra do not control tv volume and power. Next generation of Ultra did come with remote that controls the tv volume & power. Does any of your remotes have power button on the top of the remote?
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

My Streaming Stick remote controls both my tv and soundbar. Very happy so far except for needing an occasional reboot.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
Remotes included with Roku 4 and the original Ultra do not control tv volume and power. Next generation of Ultra did come with remote that controls the tv volume & power. Does any of your remotes have power button on the top of the remote?

They will control volume, but only via HDMI CEC. I have both and they both control the volume on Yamaha AVRs with no problems. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Newtsche
Level 8

"Tivoburkee" wrote:

Only the one that came with the Streaming Stick.  It was bought new.  The Roku 4 and Ultra 4K were refurbished so I guess they were too early for the correct remote.
In researching the Roku purchase, I ran across info about some remotes not controlling audio but it wasn't clear what did and didn't work.  After going through the Roku support page, I clearly don't have a unit that can control TV audio.

Can I buy the correct remote and it will pair with the Roku 4 and control TV audio or do I need a later edition Roku Ultra 4K?
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

"Newtsche" wrote:
"Tivoburkee" wrote:

Only the one that came with the Streaming Stick.  It was bought new.  The Roku 4 and Ultra 4K were refurbished so I guess they were too early for the correct remote.
In researching the Roku purchase, I ran across info about some remotes not controlling audio but it wasn't clear what did and didn't work.  After going through the Roku support page, I clearly don't have a unit that can control TV audio.

Can I buy the correct remote and it will pair with the Roku 4 and control TV audio or do I need a later edition Roku Ultra 4K?

Sure, no problem. I have two roku 4's and purchased four roku remotes that control the tv volume & power. Two of new remotes I purchased from Roku, they have headphone jack, which I never use. The other two I purchased off of ebay, which are the slimmer roku stick remotes, no headphone jacks, I like those the best.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

"atc98092" wrote:
"Tivoburkee" wrote:

They will control volume, but only via HDMI CEC. I have both and they both control the volume on Yamaha AVRs with no problems. 

Drop dead!!!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Tivoburkee" wrote:

Drop dead!!!

Any particular reason?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
m3m0ryleak
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Tivoburkee" wrote:

What Yamaha AVR's?, The remote supplied with my Premiere +  "used to" control volume on my Yamaha RX-A820 but stopped awhile ago .
0 Kudos
Newtsche
Level 8

I got a Roku Ultra that came with the enhanced remote, unlike the Ultra and 4 refurbished units I bought and returned.

The enhanced remote will control my Panasonic TV's on/off function and the worthless internal speakers' volume.  The TV has Viera, their version of HDMI CEC.
Roku Ultra HDMI to TV, TV optical audio out to old Sherwood RD-6500 audio receiver optical audio in.  Trying to program the Roku remote to control the optical source volume, no go.

I guess the Sherwood is too old to plug into today's world, no?

My only option seems to be some universal remote, too bad as I like the little Roku remote.  More money and here I am trying to save money. :?

0 Kudos