Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agybl
Level 7

Audio control of AVR

Looking for suggestion!

I set up my newly purchased Roku Stick HD/4K/HDR with may Samsung TV, works fine, remote controls TV power on/off, and TV volume. However, my TV is currently connected to the AVR, and I am attempting to see if I can get Roku remote to control volume on my AVR. It is not the latest AVR, probably at least 10 y.o. Yamaha HTR-5650. It does not have HDMI, but it does have optical jack. I Connected it to my TV via optical cable as it was recommended on Roku web site. NO LUCK.

Do I need to do special remote set up procedure for this to work? Or it is simply a hardware issue and will not work?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Audio control of AVR

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Your Roku device may indirectly control volume for you AVR using HDMI CEC depending on your setup components.

For more information about controlling the volume of your AVR, visit our Support page: Can I control my TV with the remote for my Roku® streaming player?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
agybl
Level 7

Hi, you stated that Roku may indirectly control AVR using HDMI CEC. Can you please elaborate.  My current connection between TV and AVR is NOT HDMI, it is an optical cable, which was recommended on the ROKU site in case there is no HDMI connection available.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

It was suggested to get the sound not to control it. Roku remote only controls tv via IR, it may control a audio receiver or sound bar by use of hdmi cec, without hdmi it won't control your avr, sorry.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos