Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psongman
Level 8

Any remote that you can change channels on using the keypad instead of up and down?

Subject says it all. I am using my Roku in my kitchen and it replaces a Spectrum digital adapter. I got it all working and it functions well, but they deactivated all SD and now it is all HD, and using the Roku with the Spectrum app is a pain in the buttinsky. I can't go from like CNN to MSNBC like before by pressing a channel number, let's say, like from 15 to 69. I mean you have to use the up and down buttons, what a pain. So, I am sure this is major snag that has been discussed but maybe it should be readdressed in this thread.

So,  is there another remote that you can buy that will allow you to change channels by pressing the proper one on the numbers part of the remote? If not, this device is basically useless and whoever works at Roku should have recognized long ago that this is a necessary feature for TV using and viewing. Will await your expertise, am sure someone knows the inputting score, RD

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Any remote that you can change channels on using the keypad instead of up and down?

Roku doesn't have this functionality, yet. I know people want it for all the new Cable Services, but hasn't been implemented, yet. Basically, you need to use the guide functions on the various services rather than using a channel number.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
psongman
Level 8

Re: Any remote that you can change channels on using the keypad instead of up and down?

Wow, that is ridiculous. I wish I could bring the Roku developers to my home and show them how difficult it is to change channels. I  will give you an example. When I am watching news, MSNBC is 69 and CNN is 15, it takes me about 3 minutes to get to HOME screen, then to Guide then press down for like a minute to get back to 15. With all this digital dealing you would have thunk someone  could design a remote that would handle this action. I mean, I am not that versed in this arena but someone who is, could surely come up with a method to accomplish this!!!
andyross
Level 10

On the "beta" Comcast app, I think hitting * or similar will call up a number keyboard where you can type in channel numbers by selecting them. Clunky, but Roku does not have remote codes for numbers.
LSC9901
Level 7

You can set up "Favorite Channels" which lessens the number of channels you must scroll through. Still a pain.

When you say the beta comcast app are you referring to the one you can download on your phone ? If so i don't find that any faster than going back to all channels or favorite channels
0 Kudos
rjdriver
Level 7

Deleted
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA
0 Kudos
Newtsche
Level 8

New to Roku and streaming but yeah, channel changing is a pain.

It sure seems like something that could be accommodated, even if stream source by stream source.
If and when that happens, all new hardware or software/firmware changes and a new remote?
andyross
Level 10

"LSC9901" wrote:
You can set up "Favorite Channels" which lessens the number of channels you must scroll through. Still a pain.

When you say the beta comcast app are you referring to the one you can download on your phone ? If so i don't find that any faster than going back to all channels or favorite channels

Comcast has a Roku app that emulates their X1 cable box interface (but it's slow.) It's currently free, but when it was released, comments seemed to imply that they would treat it like an extra cable box, with a monthly fee. It is listed as "Xfinity Stream Beta".
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-stream-beta
0 Kudos

My Roku came with my RV...when we go from campsite to campsite we must rescan every time so setting favorites is not an option...it's very inefficient to use the up/down keys to get from one end to the other...we need to use numbers to move around...hopefully they will get the message.
dgrace
Level 7

Maybe I'm missing something, but my Harmony remote allows channel number inputs. Create activity Watch TV and it should emulate the remote from the Spectrum box.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos