Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SlabBulkhead
Level 9

Any plans for a rechargeable remote?

I just hate having to go through batteries. Just seems so wasteful & eventually can get expensive especially since my Roku Ultra enhanced remote drains batteries in less than a week. Think its mostly when I use the headphone jack.

So, why hasn't Roku ever thought up a rechargeable remote? The battery compartment seems big enough for a small lithim ion battery pack & the charger port if they go with USB C or Micro charger cable. I would gladly pay an extra $10 or so for a rechargeable option for the enhanced remote. They could use a lithim battery pack similar to what you find in wireless house phones. 

7 Replies
Anquinette
Level 7

Re: Any plans for a rechargeable remote?

I sure hope they consider this as I am hesitant to buy any more roku product simply because of this issue. 

andyross
Level 16

Why not use rechargeable batteries? Just buy 2 sets and swap them out as needed.

SlabBulkhead
Level 9

I've thought about that but allot of rechargable battery units are junk based on the reviews. I hear of electrical shorts, damaged outlets & other probems caused by the charger. Know of any good ones? 

0 Kudos
SlabBulkhead
Level 9

Decided to go with the EBL brand rechargable AAs & charging station. Seems to get better reviews than the Energizer ones. I should get them next week. They say they are good for at least 1200 recharges so it would save a ton in having to buy more AAs.

grf57
Level 7

how did this work out for you?  i am interested in doing the same depending on if this solution actually works for others.

0 Kudos
userw848474
Level 7

I use rechargeable, most batteries I’ve bought last years with a recharge every couple of weeks. Latest I’ve bought are Duracell, I’ve also used eneloop and energizer. No acid leaks or shorts the people above mentioned, but they work for my Roku (streaming stick plus) remotes for about 3 weeks before needing a charge. Two aa batteries in my universal Logitech remotes of the same brand last months, roku remotes definitely eat more power than others but I’ve been happy with my rechargeable remotes. Just definitely recommend having more batteries than you need so you can swap while the depleted ones charge which I usually do overnight but I’m guessing takes about 4 hours?

SlabBulkhead
Level 9

Thanks all for support & input. The rechargable EBL brand AAs were the best solution. So far they lasted a few weeks even more than a month if I don't use the remotes headphone jack for private listening. If I want private listening I just pair my bluetooth headset to my phone & activate private listening in the app & use the remote in tandem which works with no issues. Saves a ton of battery life in my remote this way even though my bluetooth eats up my phone battery a little more than without but its better trade off I guess vs. going through remote batteries every week or so.

0 Kudos