Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stclymer
Level 7

After factory reset, Roku Express cannot connect to any remote.

Extremely annoying. Everything was working fine but I simply wanted to switch my Roku Express to a different account. This apparently requires a factory reset which effectively bricked my device.

After the reset, the "Let's get started screen" appears, but no matter what I do, it won't pair with the original remote, or any other remote. It's just sits there blinking away, green light on the remote and blue light on the Express.

Tried everything in the troubleshooting guides, tried new batteries, tried powering down for 10 minutes, tried the remote from my other Roku, tested the Express remote on one of my other Roku's  and it synced with no problem, so it's clearly not the remote.

So, 1) Why on earth do I need to do a factory reset to change the linked account?

2) Why would a factory reset brick the device like this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Re: After factory reset, Roku Express cannot connect to any remote.

All you have is wifi remotes? It needs an IR remote to get you into the menu and to remote section to pair your wifi remote back to it. Go to target or walmart and get cheap rca remote that has roku listed on it, if you want to, return it.

And for those who will say an express can't be paired to wifi remote, you're wrong, at least with 3900 and 3930 expresses.

0 Kudos
stclymer
Level 7

Re: After factory reset, Roku Express cannot connect to any remote.

No, I have the original enhanced remote that came with the Express and when I push buttons on the remote, the blue light blinks and the screen saver resets, it just doesn't sync so I can't do anything from the "Let's get started menu".

I thought all Roku remotes are IR remotes, right?

0 Kudos