Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Adding a Roku1 to another TV using a Roku Stick controller does it work

Jump to solution

We have a Roku stick and works great but were given a Roku1 with no controller. I have tried the roku stick controller and does not seem to work. I used the app on the cell, but I get no internet to connect with which is not true I have wireless. all I get on the TV screen when powered up is a Lets Get Started screen with the options for language below but I cant go any farther. Do I need to buy a roku1 controller????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Adding a Roku1 to another TV using a Roku Stick controller does it work

Jump to solution

Yes, you need a real remote initially to set the internet credentials before you can use the cellphone app. Roku 1 only take IR remotes, so wifi remote like the stick uses will never work on it. Roku sells the simple IR remote for $14.99, second remote down:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Or you can get a cheap universal remote from target or the dollar store just make sure it lists roku as a brand. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Yes, you need a real remote initially to set the internet credentials before you can use the cellphone app. Roku 1 only take IR remotes, so wifi remote like the stick uses will never work on it. Roku sells the simple IR remote for $14.99, second remote down:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Or you can get a cheap universal remote from target or the dollar store just make sure it lists roku as a brand. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I bought the cheap Walmart controller.  However the Walmart controller on the Roku1 is very very slow with the word "loading" and partial commercials that just blank out and then reappear with the "skip" button partly playing.  It is significant at least 15-20 seconds to respond to the key stroke that was pressed on the remote. should I reset? We have 50 meg downstream internet with 2.4 Ghz wireless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

That may have been the reason someone gave away the roku1, the roku1 is very old, I would do factory reset, only put back a few channels at first to see if it speeds up the roku. 

Edmund
0 Kudos