Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Added SD Card - Remote no longer works

In your case, I can completely agree with getting a Samsung. It's one of the few devices that Spectrum supports. I really wish it wasn't necessary to use multiple streaming devices to be able to access the content desired. But that seems to be the way things have gone for the 9+ years I've been streaming since I dropped Dish. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
T_T
Reel Rookie

Your answer makes sense to me. So my question is (I am new to the ROKU streaming tv) Where do I get the 2 gigabyte sm card? I have looked and I can not find a link on the ROKU site. Is this something I buy elsewhere? Thanks 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Roku does list a 2 GB SD card on their web site under player accessories. However, it also shows out of stock at this time. When I searched Amazon I found plenty of 2 GB SD cards, although they sure seem expensive. I believe larger cards can easily be found for lower prices. However, the Roku won't use more than about 4 GB, so anything larger than that is just wasted, and anything larger than 16 GB might simply not work.

But since you're new to Roku, you most likely have a newer Roku device. Please note that no current model of Roku player supports an SD card. The last model that did was the Ultra 4670, and for any non-Ultra model you have to go all the way back to the original Roku Premiere+ (4630), which is now a 5 year old model. 

Dan

T_T
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your timely reply. I do have the Ultra box that has the sm port. I think I will just check back periodically until it is in stock on Roku. The only issue that I have is it takes a moment to load a channel and the sm card is suggested on the screen. I am also cleaning out some older channels to help as well. Thanks again.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

I've never installed an SD card on any of my Roku players. It's rare that I have to reload a channel, but then I usually only use 4-5 of my installed channels. Naturally, if you regularly use a dozen or more, it's certainly possible an SD card would make a small difference. Just not enough of one for me to worry about. But that's just me. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

In my case with a Roku 3, the micro SD card from Roku made no difference in loading speed. In the end I think it was just an automatic software message from Roku to encourage me/us to add a micro SD card (in case we were using a lot of apps, which I am not). So you may very well not need the micro SD card either, but if you use a lot of apps it may be helpful.

0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

I just wanted to update and for-warn others, I did buy a new 2021 Samsung AU8000 TV (because it would load the Spectrum TV app) and was hugely disappointed in the defective or cheap audio card, and the out of sync audio & video on a few apps. I used a good quality DAC (digital to analog converter) plugged into the optical audio port to listen to the audio with Sennheiser headphones and the audio was still real bad - so it was the audio card and not just the speakers. My 7 1/2 year old SHD Samsung sounds like an audiophile TV in comparison. Long story short, Samsung is IMO, cheating us customers with cheap components and resting on its past reputation instead of making quality entry level TVs. Now I probably will have to get either a Roku TV like TCL or use a Roku device on some other TV (since I hate Google).

TV buying used to be a whole lot simpler back in the day...

0 Kudos
Sean19130

I pressed the “reset” button under the power cord and it fixed the problem for me. Remote is working fine again. 

0 Kudos
jdfoxjd

Yes, the reset button fixes the remote on the Roku 2 after adding an SD card. 

0 Kudos
SharkyCA

Re: Micro SD card (Roku 2GB) causes Remote to stop worrking

Good that you have a solution! What if your remote is older and has no "pairing" button...??

Hhhmmm!

My Roku 2 has no pairing remote, old style IR unit, replaced batteries and unit works as long as the sd card is not installed, my first sd card was not being detected, so I bought a new card, yes I know 32gig is overkill, but the price was cheaper than a 2gig card, sd card is detected and asks to "format or cancel" but I can't change the field to select!

Too bad Roku have let this go on for so long!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos