Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbarchw
Level 7

1 remote 2 tv's

One Roku remote changes all the tvs when someone uses the Roku remote. Is there a way to change frequency for each tv? We have 3 rokus and 1 remote changes all even if they all are not using the Roku box at that time. It is very frustrating to be watching something and the kids netflicks or youtube shows pop on because they are searching on another tv. Help! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: 1 remote 2 tv's

If the remote is an IR remote, you need to ensure there’s only one Roku in sight. For the WiFi Direct remotes, each one should be paired with one Roku.

It would be helpful if you listed the Roku device models.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
bbarchw
Level 7

I have a 2017 Roku Express on living room tv and I have a 2014 or 2015 Roku 1 on the kids tv
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"bbarchw" wrote:
I have a 2017 Roku Express on living room tv and I have a 2014 or 2015 Roku 1 on the kids tv

Are they in separate rooms, right next to each other?  I think we are confused on your setup that could possibly cause this.  The only way I can see this happen is if both units are in the same area and you are pointing the remote at them.
0 Kudos
bbarchw
Level 7

Yes, there are 2 in 1 room and the other is in my bedroom. The 2 that I posted the roku types are in the same room.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"bbarchw" wrote:
Yes, there are 2 in 1 room and the other is in my bedroom. The 2 that I posted the roku types are in the same room.

The remote is infrared, so both units pick up the signal.  Not much you can do about this if they are both in the line of sight of the remote.
0 Kudos
bbarchw
Level 7

Do you happen to know if I get a different streaming box for one of the tvs, will that work, even if it is ir also? Like the Roku on one and a sony box on the other? 
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"bbarchw" wrote:
Do you happen to know if I get a different streaming box for one of the tvs, will that work, even if it is ir also? Like the Roku on one and a sony box on the other? 

Yeah that should work fine.  For the most part, all Roku units that will respond to IR commands will respond to any of the Roku IR remotes.  If the other TV has a different manufacturer's box on it, then the remotes will not interfere.
You could use 2 rokus if one of them used an RF remote instead.  Something like the Roku Ultra or Roku Streaming Stick.  I'd probably replace the Roku1 with a Roku Stick and that should fix your problems.  The only problem then is that you'll probably like the Stick more than the Express unit and need to switch which TV they are on...  Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Only the Sticks won’t recognize IR commands.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Basil" wrote:
Only the Sticks won’t recognize IR commands.

Yeah I should have been more specific in that if you shove the Ultra behind the tv or cover the IR receiver...
0 Kudos