Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim109
Binge Watcher

youtube video stops after ads play!

We have a Roku Express attached to our smart tv. When playing youtube videos there is a problem. In a youtube video sometimes there are ads. After the ad the video doesn't resume and we get the circle of death. Can you help?>

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
akki5
Reel Rookie

Re: youtube video stops after ads play!

I am also facing same issue... can we hear from roku 

@Tim109 wrote:

We have a Roku Express attached to our smart tv. When playing youtube videos there is a problem. In a youtube video sometimes there are ads. After the ad the video doesn't resume and we get the circle of death. Can you help?>

0 Kudos
akki5
Reel Rookie

I am facing same issue on my roku premiere.. Can anyone respond from Roku ?

0 Kudos
LunaM
Reel Rookie

There have been several threads about this which all end with someone from Roku support saying "uninstall and reinstall the app." Which works, temporarily, but I've found it to be unnecessary: if your video freezes after you skip or finish an ad, click up on your remote to show the youtube video options. Change the streaming quality to one notch lower than it currently is. Wait for a few seconds, and the video will automatically reload at the slightly-lower resolution. This has always resolved the issue for me. 

I think what's happening is that the youtube app might be requesting a slightly higher resolution + framerate than the roku device itself is capable of handling, or is otherwise having trouble with in YouTube's particular format. When in doubt, 1080p or at worst 720p are pretty sure bets. 

Anyway, give that a try, see if it works for yours. I've solved the problem on all three of my Roku TVs and my Roku Express this way. 

It's still a band-aid and I'd rather it just be fixed outright, but with Roku and YouTube bickering with each other like they are currently, I'm not holding my breath. 

0 Kudos