Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donde
Level 7

weird issue when powering off and powering on TV using Roku Streaming Stick +

Using a Roku Streaming Stick + on a TV.  The Roku is powered via the external power supply wall wart since that TV doesn't have a USB port.  If I shut off my TV and turn it back on, the picture and sound quality will be **bleep**, pixillated, sometimes no sound or garbled sound.  If I unplug and re-plug in the power to the Roku stick, it then functions fine.  It's a big PIA to have to reach behind TV to do this all the time.  It does seem like if the TV is off for quite sometime it won't do this, but if I turn the TV off and then back in a few minutes the issue occurs.  Seems like some kind of issue with power having to be drained off or something like that.  Anybody know what gives and how to resolve the issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: weird issue when powering off and powering on TV using Roku Streaming Stick +

You didnt mention your TV brand and Model number. How old is it?

You can try grounding the TV better.

I think the problems are with the TV.

Have you tried a different HDMI port?

With a Solid State TV there really is no problem just leaving it on and watching a screensaver.

Just leave it at the Home screen

Especially since this only happens when it off for shorter periods.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Donde
Level 7

Re: weird issue when powering off and powering on TV using Roku Streaming Stick +

It's a Vizio, I'm not sure of the exact age, probably no more than 10 years, if that much.  Has 2 HDMI ports, so yeah, I'll give that shot.  Ground should be good, at least it is at the outlet, unless it's an internal issue within the TV itself.  It does seem to be something with this specific TV, as my other TV which doesn't have a USB port doesn't have this problem.  Just wondering if other people experienced the same issue and how they resolved it.  Thanks for your suggestions.