Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strix26
Level 7

vikings in 5.1

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been answered before.
I've had 2 roku products , a roku 2 and now a 4k stick and on both the show vikings is only detected and out put in stereo. I also have a amazon fire TV and on that its output rightly as 5.1 . Other shows ie Lucifer on prime outputs rightly as 5.1 . So can anyone shed light on my issue?
Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: vikings in 5.1

If the show is decoded in Dolby Digital+ and your setup only supports Dolby Digital, then I believe all you'll get is stereo.

Also, what is your setup? Receiver, cables, TV, etc.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
strix26
Level 7

Hi
My set up supports Dolby Digital +, audio supplied to amp via arc HDMI. This is the same way the Amazon fire TV receives it and that decodes the 5.1 sound track no problem.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Make sure your Roku is set to auto-detect or DD+. I have no problem on my 4210 and Sony AVR with that title on Amazon (other than my Sony hissing on the "ssses", but that's another story...). If your AVR truly does not support DD+, then Dolby Pro II with PCM is almost undectectable in "blind" tests.

Edit... don't use a splitter device either.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
strix26
Level 7

Thank you for your suggestions, my avr is a Sony dn 850 and supports dd+ . As i said in my earlier posts, it supports it fine with an Amazon fire TV streaming stick and with the roku it picks up other shows on prime in surround, just not Vikings. Sure it must be something to do with the signal generated not being picked up with the roku, but don't know how or why!
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Delete the app.
Reboot/unplug theRoku.
Re-install Amazon (a PITA, but unavoidable)
Try to play again.

Also, note that Vikings is not a "heavy" stereo program. Often it will only play through the center channel, and other times only through the front 3 channels.

Full disclaimer

Note that I have mostly watched this series on Hulu Xbox 360 480i PCM, but tests on Amazon Roku 4210 1080p DD+ have been done as well.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
strix26
Level 7

Again thank you for suggestion but had the same issue with my older roku 3 as my new roku streaming stick. Same issue when watching 'grand tour' but only season 2 , season one plays surround ok! . So makes no sense to me why roku (either model) has an issue playing surround on some programmes and not on others. Don't have the problem with other apps like Netflix, thats has always played surround just fine. Guess for continuity of sound with prime i will have to stick to my Amazon fire TV or watch it through the TV itself.
0 Kudos