Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

ultra 4800 (2020) unit playback issues - Is roku support a joke/non existent?

Jump to solution

tech issue: I own 4 roku streaming devices and just bought my first ultra 4800. Ultra unit has pixelation always when connected with a nic, and randomly over wifi. This unit is closet to the router/mesh and has issues, and all other roku sticks over wireless throughout the house playback flawless. Went through the gamut of tshooting steps with chat support. 

real issue: roku support is horrendous at providing.....support. I was happy that chat was available and went through a long session of basic troubleshooting, nothing got fixed. I was told a next tier support person would call me. Well no call. Also, no email. Then behold, two weeks later I get an email, and their export support gives me a canned response to run the updater. We did this already in the first call, surely ye jest. My reply to support was not a happy one. Then I get another reply that they will be back to me after they investigate. What the **bleep** is support going to investigate? They didnt ask for logs, or do any advanced tshooting, nor did they remotely troubleshoot anything?

This is horrendous and the worst support model ever. I know I have a faulty unit but looks like you need to know the CEO to maybe get any help.

Do I seriously have to dump my roku investment because of the awful support?  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 12

Re: ultra 4800 (2020) unit playback issues - Is roku support a joke/non existent?

Jump to solution

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

@Heyitsrick for you, I brought it to another room and tested like you suggested, same issue. Keep in mind that im testing nic (which is why I bought this unit) and wireless, and the issue with pixelation, packet loss is the same. And honestly, my original test of swapping the units in place where the 3810 works the 4800 does not, while connected to same tv, input, and wireless network is a pretty good tshoot step and real test, not sure why you think its not. 

and you are 100% correct, absolutely want to bash roku here, but I 100% appreciate your time and support as well sir. thank you 

I'm glad you did this "for me". After all, I'm the one who's entertainment life is hanging on whether your 4800 doesn't pixelate. I guess I'm lucky that my 2020 Ultra works fine.

When you come to a user forum expressing an issue, people here usually have this funny way of trying to assist. They don't have to, of course. But they try.  

You're not clear on why one Roku might work fine while another might not. They both say "Roku" on them, right? Well,  Chevy has a "Spark" model and Chevy has a "Corvette" model. One is demonstrably more powerful and more expensive than the other. It's made with different parts. So, too, are the two Rokus. The 4800 has an entirely different chipset than the 3810. It has a different CPU. It has 2x the RAM.  It can decode surround sound in the box itself. It can output 3 different types of HDR.  

So, why would they react differently? Because they're different to begin with.  

But again, it takes but a couple of minutes to do the common troubleshooting steps, like different HDMI cables, etc.

But now you've made it clear that you're just on a rant mission here, which I would presume is probably a waste of most people's time to go through. My counter rant would be that my 4800 works fine.

Even-Steven? 

Good luck. I'd just be returning/replacing it and moving on, but what do I know? 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 12

Re: ultra 4800 (2020) unit playback issues - Is roku support a joke/non existent?

Jump to solution

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

tech issue: I own 4 roku streaming devices and just bought my first ultra 4800. Ultra unit has pixelation always when connected with a nic, and randomly over wifi. This unit is closet to the router/mesh and has issues, and all other roku sticks over wireless throughout the house playback flawless. Went through the gamut of tshooting steps with chat support. 

real issue: roku support is horrendous at providing.....support. I was happy that chat was available and went through a long session of basic troubleshooting, nothing got fixed. I was told a next tier support person would call me. Well no call. Also, no email. Then behold, two weeks later I get an email, and their export support gives me a canned response to run the updater. We did this already in the first call, surely ye jest. My reply to support was not a happy one. Then I get another reply that they will be back to me after they investigate. What the **bleep** is support going to investigate? They didnt ask for logs, or do any advanced tshooting, nor did they remotely troubleshoot anything?

This is horrendous and the worst support model ever. I know I have a faulty unit but looks like you need to know the CEO to maybe get any help.

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

Leaving aside the support issues - which are not minor, of course - have you tried moving the 2020 Ultra to the other locations in the house where the sticks work? I'm thinking it's possible you might have an interference issue regardless of whether you're close to the router/mesh.  Try it somewhere else where you've experienced good video quality with other Roku products.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

I have no issues with my 4800. It's connected to a Yamaha AVR which sends it to my LG set. While I've played a bit using WiFi I generally keep it on my wired Gigabit network. I've never seen any pixaliation. In fact, the 4800 is the first Roku device I've owned that has actually reported my Internet connection speed accurately, so there's something improved in its networking. As @Heyitsrick said, try it somewhere else in your home and see if the results change. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Heyitsrick I appreciate your reply. I had a roku 3810r on this very tv, location, cable, etc prior to putting the 4800 in its place. Had 0 issues since I have owned that unit. Its in the same location where the 4800 now lives. When I connect the 4800 to the same connection to the tv, and use wired or wireless, I have problems with video playback. Had them again this morning streaming off disney+, but it happens with any channel really. If I put the 3810r back in, I am back in business. 

I know I have a faulty unit, and again, the real problem is roku support not supporting their product. I have given them any information they asked for and tried whatever they said. They need to "investigate" again with no data from me, which probably means they know this product is garbage and has issues. A quick search on the forum shows me this much. And honestly I dont think we can leave aside that roku support has issues, that in my book is the primary issue. 

What does it take to get real support from roku?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

@atc98092 im really happy for you, but my issue is that my unit is plagued, and there is no support for the product at all. my topic still stands that roku support is a joke.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

@atc98092 im really happy for you, but my issue is that my unit is plagued, and there is no support for the product at all. my topic still stands that roku support is a joke.

Well, I can't argue that point because it's accurate. Smiley Very Happy Roku leaves Danny out here hanging to take the wrath of the users with issues, and their support team seems woefully inadequate. I hope they take some of that money they've collected from HBO and put together a sufficient support center. Some of us attempt to assist others with problems, but there's a limit of what we can do since none of us are employees. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

@Heyitsrick I appreciate your reply. I had a roku 3810r on this very tv, location, cable, etc prior to putting the 4800 in its place. Had 0 issues since I have owned that unit. Its in the same location where the 4800 now lives. When I connect the 4800 to the same connection to the tv, and use wired or wireless, I have problems with video playback. Had them again this morning streaming off disney+, but it happens with any channel really. If I put the 3810r back in, I am back in business. 

I know I have a faulty unit, and again, the real problem is roku support not supporting their product. I have given them any information they asked for and tried whatever they said. They need to "investigate" again with no data from me, which probably means they know this product is garbage and has issues. A quick search on the forum shows me this much. And honestly I dont think we can leave aside that roku support has issues, that in my book is the primary issue. 

What does it take to get real support from roku?

That's not a real test, though.  Move the thing to where something else is working now - in another room.  If it continues to exhibit the same behavior, at least you've spent the 5 minutes to verify it.

I could be wrong, but it seems like your real goal here is to ask rhetorical questions about Roku support, or lack thereof. Those are not going to get anything fixed.   If you have a faulty unit, return/send it back. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Heyitsrick for you, I brought it to another room and tested like you suggested, same issue. Keep in mind that im testing nic (which is why I bought this unit) and wireless, and the issue with pixelation, packet loss is the same. And honestly, my original test of swapping the units in place where the 3810 works the 4800 does not, while connected to same tv, input, and wireless network is a pretty good tshoot step and real test, not sure why you think its not. 

and you are 100% correct, absolutely want to bash roku here, but I 100% appreciate your time and support as well sir. thank you 

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gtsh0pp3r wrote:

I'm glad you did this "for me". After all, I'm the one who's entertainment life is hanging on whether your 4800 doesn't pixelate. I guess I'm lucky that my 2020 Ultra works fine.

When you come to a user forum expressing an issue, people here usually have this funny way of trying to assist. They don't have to, of course. But they try.  

You're not clear on why one Roku might work fine while another might not. They both say "Roku" on them, right? Well,  Chevy has a "Spark" model and Chevy has a "Corvette" model. One is demonstrably more powerful and more expensive than the other. It's made with different parts. So, too, are the two Rokus. The 4800 has an entirely different chipset than the 3810. It has a different CPU. It has 2x the RAM.  It can decode surround sound in the box itself. It can output 3 different types of HDR.  

So, why would they react differently? Because they're different to begin with.  

But again, it takes but a couple of minutes to do the common troubleshooting steps, like different HDMI cables, etc.

But now you've made it clear that you're just on a rant mission here, which I would presume is probably a waste of most people's time to go through. My counter rant would be that my 4800 works fine.

Even-Steven? 

Good luck. I'd just be returning/replacing it and moving on, but what do I know? 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I think you like to rant more than me honestly, and you do it so eloquently sir. The way you give meaningless corvette examples, oh boy! thanks for the tip, didnt work and thats completely fine,  but I will accept your solution so you can get your next level 13 status on this forum

I will be returning this pos -- excellent solution! thank you

0 Kudos