Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tv is flashing a white screen then a grey screen with brackets in the center.

i just bought a roku tv and as soon as i set it up and turned netflix on it started flashing a white screen followed by a grey screen with a bracket at the center. i have reset it, unplugged and plugged it back in, and tried a youtube factory reset tutorial. it will not stop doing it. please help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: tv is flashing a white screen then a grey screen with brackets in the center.

Does it display channels other than Netflix okay?

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel didn't install properly, that it didn't update correctly, or that the installation has otherwise gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
businessklj
Reel Rookie

Re: tv is flashing a white screen then a grey screen with brackets in the center.

Has anyone had success in solving this?  It's happened to me suddenly today and my tv is only a few months old.  Unplugging doesn't help, nor does holding the reset button.  Any ideas???

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @businessklj

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue happen on a Roku TV? If so, have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Crankshaft

Mines doing the same thing any luck as to what is causing it and how to fix this?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @Crankshaft

Thanks for the post.

Are you experiencing the problem on a Roku TV? A photo of the issue occurring would be a great help as well. With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
businessklj
Reel Rookie

I ended up filing a claim with the warranty folks, who deemed it unrepairable.  They had me destroy the tv and sent a refund.

On that note, if you deal with Curtis International, the warranty contact, keep good notes and stay on them.  They sent me around in circles for FIVE months.  I eventually got my refund because I just didn't stop contacting them, but they were awful.  I'll never buy another RCA tv.

0 Kudos

God ROKU is so **bleep**ing **bleep**. Selling faulty ass products that break after a few months. How are they not embarrassed that they sell people dog **bleep** quality? What a **bleep**ing joke. **bleep** ROKU

0 Kudos