Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronfelder
Level 8

surround audio formats

I understand that a Roku only passes on the audio for a avr or tv to decode. With that in mind which surround formats will the Roku pass through unaltered so the av will decode? Reason I ask is that DTS-HD from a ripped disc is played back it plays back as Dolby Digital AC-3.Perhaps i'm ripping it wrong. I use Handbrake to do the job. Regula DTS is fine. Plex shows that either DTS format  listed as just DTS.. Thanks. I probably can't hear the difference anyway. Just would like to know and also to do ir properly.
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: surround audio formats

Roku will bitstream standard Dolby Digital, DD+, and DTS (from an MKV container officially, but also supports the TS container). Everything else has to be converted. DTS-HD or Master Audio will sometimes pass the lossy DTS core, but recent firmware updates have caused issues with it, so I now transcode all my DTS/MA when playing via a Roku. Same with Dolby TrueHD, with or without Atmos. They will pass DD+ with Atmos, such as what Vudu or Amazon supports. Netflix is rolling out DD+/Atmos to some Roku players, but so far not all. 
When it comes to lossless audio, Roku is not the player. The Nvidia Shield is the only "reasonably" priced player that supports lossless. See this page for the complete official codec support information. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ronfelder
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Roku will bitstream standard Dolby Digital, DD+, and DTS (from an MKV container officially, but also supports the TS container). Everything else has to be converted. DTS-HD or Master Audio will sometimes pass the lossy DTS core, but recent firmware updates have caused issues with it, so I now transcode all my DTS/MA when playing via a Roku. Same with Dolby TrueHD, with or without Atmos. They will pass DD+ with Atmos, such as what Vudu or Amazon supports. Netflix is rolling out DD+/Atmos to some Roku players, but so far not all. 
When it comes to lossless audio, Roku is not the player. The Nvidia Shield is the only "reasonably" priced player that supports lossless. See this page for the complete official codec support information. 

Thank you for the information. I thought that was the case. IN your opionion can one truly hear the difference between the older dolby digital and dts formats compared to the upgraded versions?
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Well, you can certainly hear the difference with Atmos, even though I only have a 5.1.2 arrangement. But for me the limiting issue is the quality of my speakers. Neither of my media setups have quality speakers. One room is just Radio Shack bookshelf speakers for L/R/LR/RR. The center and sub are higher quality, but those channels don't matter as much. The other room is really inexpensive Sony speakers that came in a set, with two cast-off speakers pointing at the ceiling for Atmos. So my system isn't a good measure of potential differences. However, based on what other people with higher quality systems, there's a noticeable improvement with lossless audio.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos