Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdS
Level 7

roku ultra 4640 dd+ down conversion

I am trying to connect a roku device to a TV via hdmi and an older surround sound AVR (no hdmi, no dd+) using an optical link.  I recently purchased a used roku 4 with optical link and have found that I do not get dolby digital 5.1 sound to my avr, only prologic.  After searching these forums, I learned that the device I need is a roku ultra model 4640.  I have seen references to 4640R and 4640X.  Can someone tell me what the difference is and whether either will work?  Is there anything else I need to know to correctly identify a used 4640 that will work for my system.  Thank you for any help you can give.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: roku ultra 4640 dd+ down conversion

@EdS Thanks for the questions here! The Roku Ultra (model 4640X/R) is no longer available from Roku. This model was discontinued a couple years ago. The letters after a Roku device model number do not differentiate a device in terms of specifications—they simply indicate either the general model series, or the retailer at which the device was sold. 4640X and 4640R would be the exact same device. 

You might be able to locate a unit from a 3rd party retailer online, but we no longer sell this model. You might also investigate whether your TV would support optical audio out to connect to your receiver, and pass the audio through from your Roku device. Contacting the TV manufacturer would be the best bet for more information. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
EdS
Level 7

Re: roku ultra 4640 dd+ down conversion

Thank you for the reply.  I believe our TV outputs only stereo (on the SPDIF output) for HDMI input sources and surround sound for TV streamed sources provided by the smart TV but I will double check.  The TV is almost 10 years old. 

The roku 4 was pretty easy to come by in the used market but the roku ultra 4640 seems a little more scarce.  I suspect this is because there are a number of people in the same boat as I am.  Hopefully I will be able to find one.  Prologic is better than nothing but my yamaha RXV1 is a very nice old AVR and I would like to be able to experience full dolby digital if possible.

0 Kudos