Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tstoeckert
Level 7

roku tv to 10 yr old onkyo a/v receiver

I have a new tcl 49s517 tv and am trying to connect it to an old onkyo tx-sr605 receiver (vintage 2007 without arc). I can continue to play regular cable through my surround sound system, but can't figure out how to play netflix and amazon sound through anything other than the tv's own inadequate speakers.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: roku tv to 10 yr old onkyo a/v receiver

Unless your Onkyo has an optical input, there's no way to get audio from the TV without resorting to additional hardware to convert the optical out to analog audio. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
twiceover
Level 11

Your receiver has optical.  Use the optical out from the TV into the receiver.  You should get Dolby Digital.  
0 Kudos
tstoeckert
Level 7

Thank you. I think I've got an optical cable here. I'll give it  try tomorrow.
0 Kudos
tstoeckert
Level 7

So, I have the audio out from the tv into the audio in on the receiver (optical audio cable) but I still can't get the sound from netflix to play thru the receiver. I can get the picture from netflix, but the sound into the speakers is the sound from whatever channel is playing on the set-top box. I have set the rook tv remote to s-audio  
0 Kudos