Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

roku optical connection question

This is just a question for my information.  Sorry if this is not the place to post it.
My roku does not have an optical connection, but I am curious about how it  would be  used.   If you use the optical connection from the roku to the soundbar,  how do you get sound to the soundbar when not viewing with over the ROKU but viewing regular cable, do you have connections from both the roku and the tv to the soundbar?  
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: roku optical connection question

Some soundbars have multiple inputs, so other devices can be connected at the same time. Others have HDMI that supports ARC, so a TV can send its audio back via the HDMI cable. The best soundbars will have both, and you can connect your Roku and other devices via HDMI and the soundbar handles all the port switching and audio.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Some soundbars have multiple inputs, so other devices can be connected at the same time. Others have HDMI that supports ARC, so a TV can send its audio back via the HDMI cable. The best soundbars will have both, and you can connect your Roku and other devices via HDMI and the soundbar handles all the port switching and audio.

My tv's that have a roku do not use a soundbar, and the tv with a soundbar is a smart tv without  roku,  so I am not sure how it  works with both a soundbar and a roku. 
Or ould you need to use the Optical from the roku only if you tv did not have optical?  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"lfayb" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

My tv's that have a roku do not use a soundbar, and the tv with a soundbar is a smart tv without  roku,  so I am not sure how it  works with both a soundbar and a roku. 
Or ould you need to use the Optical from the roku only if you tv did not have optical?  

If you connect the Roku directly to the TV, then the TV will send the sound back to the SB, either via optical or HDMI ARC. Just one caution, although with a soundbar it might not be an issue. Not all TVs will send multi-channel audio from an external device back out the optical port. They instead send it back as two channel stereo. Like I said, with a soundbar that may not be a big issue, unless it has really good multi-channel processing. But yes, if the TV doesn't have optical out, I could see the need to connect the Roku to the soundbar via optical. Since your TV with the soundbar is a Smart TV, unless there are streaming sources you desire on the Roku it's probably best to stick with the TV apps. But you can certainly connect a Roku as well if desired. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
"lfayb" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

If you connect the Roku directly to the TV, then the TV will send the sound back to the SB, either via optical or HDMI ARC. Just one caution, although with a soundbar it might not be an issue. Not all TVs will send multi-channel audio from an external device back out the optical port. They instead send it back as two channel stereo. Like I said, with a soundbar that may not be a big issue, unless it has really good multi-channel processing. But yes, if the TV doesn't have optical out, I could see the need to connect the Roku to the soundbar via optical. Since your TV with the soundbar is a Smart TV, unless there are streaming sources you desire on the Roku it's probably best to stick with the TV apps. But you can certainly connect a Roku as well if desired. 

Thanks for the information.  As I said,  I am just trying to figure this all out.  Trying to get at least a little knowledge  before I need  it.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos