Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

roku and soundbar

I am looking at :
https://support.roku.com/article/208754 ... ound-sound
and am a little confused.

It shows
2.  Connecting to an  AVR or soundbar with hdmi ports 

(from the best I can tell it is without   ARC,  below it #3 is with ARC
    It shows  the roku plugged into the soundbar via hdmi and the sound bar plugged into the tv via hdmi without arc. 
    How does the tv pass audio to the sound bar when watching cable tv and not roku?.  
    I am thinking that maybe it is  just not showing the connection needed to get the sound to the soundbar when watching tv. Is that correct ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to understand for the future.  Do not have a problem right now.
    My tvs with a roku  do not have a sound bar and my tv with a sound bar does not have a roku.  But that could change.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: roku and soundbar

I'm not following your question. With almost all Roku players, HDMI is the only available option for audio out. There have been a handful of players that had optical out, but none of the current models do. The current Express + has analog out (red and white RCA plugs)
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
I'm not following your question. With almost all Roku players, HDMI is the only available option for audio out. There have been a handful of players that had optical out, but none of the current models do. The current Express + has analog out (red and white RCA plugs)

I am asking if there needs to be another connection not shown- one from the tv to the soundbar, to get sound to the tv when watching cable tvinstead of roku.
setup shows
  roku  via hdmi to soundbar-  then soundbar via  hdmi to tv

It is my understanding that hdmi on the tv is only input unless it is ARC.  So when watching cable tv how do es the sound from the tv get to the soundbar?  Wondering if there needs to be another connection like optical out from the tv to the soundbar.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Ok, I believe I follow you now. Your setup will depend on both the soundbar and the TV. 

Scenario 1: TV and soundbar support ARC. Connect all devices to your TV and send the audio to your soundbar via HDMI. Potential issue: your TV might not send Dolby Digital + and/or DTS from the Roku back to the soundbar. 

Scenario 2: TV and/or soundbar doesn't support ARC, but the Soundbar has HDMI inputs for other devices. Connect your devices to the soundbar, and connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar. 

Scenario 3: TV doesn't support ARC and the soundbar has no HDMI inputs. Connect your devices to the TV and use optical from the TV to the soundbar. Same potential issue as #1, and more likely to be an issue.

So the most important thing from my viewpoint is to ensure the soundbar has HDMI inputs, so you don't have to worry about any potential issues getting your Roku sound back to the soundbar. Scenario #2 should be the best solution for you. Especially since you don't need to worry about if ARC is supported.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Ok, I believe I follow you now. Your setup will depend on both the soundbar and the TV. 

Scenario 1: TV and soundbar support ARC. Connect all devices to your TV and send the audio to your soundbar via HDMI. Potential issue: your TV might not send Dolby Digital + and/or DTS from the Roku back to the soundbar. 

Scenario 2: TV and/or soundbar doesn't support ARC, but the Soundbar has HDMI inputs for other devices. Connect your devices to the soundbar, and connect an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar. 

Scenario 3: TV doesn't support ARC and the soundbar has no HDMI inputs. Connect your devices to the TV and use optical from the TV to the soundbar. Same potential issue as #1, and more likely to be an issue.

So the most important thing from my viewpoint is to ensure the soundbar has HDMI inputs, so you don't have to worry about any potential issues getting your Roku sound back to the soundbar. Scenario #2 should be the best solution for you. Especially since you don't need to worry about if ARC is supported.

I do not currently have a problem just trying to figure out things for the future.
I was especially confused  by an example in the  link I posted, for using hdmi without arc.   I was thinking may they omitted a required connection to get the sound from tv to soundbar.  I think maybe what they omitted was the optical cable as in your scenario 2.   Thanks 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

OK, it's Friday and I get easily confused.  Smiley LOL I see what you mean about that particular image, but I believe I have an explanation. Remember that this guide is strictly for getting sound from your Roku player. The most likely purposely omitted the TV to soundbar connection as it has nothing to do with getting sound out of the Roku. I agree with you that they should have indicated an optical connection from the TV to soundbar, just for the sake of completeness, but I believe that is a reasonable explanation for their graphic. 
Dan
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
OK, it's Friday and I get easily confused.  Smiley LOL I see what you mean about that particular image, but I believe I have an explanation. Remember that this guide is strictly for getting sound from your Roku player. The most likely purposely omitted the TV to soundbar connection as it has nothing to do with getting sound out of the Roku. I agree with you that they should have indicated an optical connection from the TV to soundbar, just for the sake of completeness, but I believe that is a reasonable explanation for their graphic. 

I   wondered if that might be the case.  But they could end up with people taking it as is and then wondering why they do not have sound  from the tv to the soundbar.  Maybe the majority of people will know, but there are bound to be some that do not. If they do not want to include it in the image, maybe it should at least be mentioned.  OH well, maybe I am the only one .
Thanks
0 Kudos