Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FarmerKen
Reel Rookie

rediculous bandwidth usage

Roku are you listening?? I live in Canada and bandwidth is hardly free in rural Quebec. Even in 720p, 2 weeks of regular watching will top my limit. There were options to give users more control over the quality they stream.. the disabled 5 x home, 3 x rewind and twice ff.

Please return control back to the user.

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: rediculous bandwidth usage

From what I've read that "secret menu" bandwidth limiting setting is ignored by the programmers of most channels.

If you're not already, get in the habit of returning your Roku to its home screen before shutting down to stop it from streaming unattended. 

And in case you forget,  the Roku "Bandwidth saver" function kicks in when the Roku has received no user input in four hours.  It asks if you are still watching, and if it receives no response, it exits the current stream and returns the Roku to its home page.  You can turn this feature on and off via Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver.  Note that some individual channels may have a similar feature.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
FarmerKen
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply, yes I use the bandwidth saver feature.

Before I got the Roku, Netflix and YouTube were used to the exact same degree and I never passed my bandwidth limit.

Roku has eaten my monthly limit in less than 2 weeks. Im sure there are tech issues as you mention but where are thé warnings about such channels or even a bandwidth counter so the user knows and can see what’s going go on.

i like the Roku unit but it’s pretty useless if I have to go back to not using it Half the time just to stay under my bandwidth limit.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@FarmerKen, for Netflix try:  https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

YouTube may have something similar, but I don't really know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos