Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redappleone
Roku Guru

record the screen‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

Jump to solution

how can i record my roku television's screen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: record the screen‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

Jump to solution

Other than setting up a camera pointed at the TV screen, you can't. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
atc98092

Jump to solution

Other than setting up a camera pointed at the TV screen, you can't. 

Dan

0 Kudos
redappleone
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

is there a channel in the roku channel store that can

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, not at all. You must remember that most all online providers would frown greatly on someone recording their content. It most likely would violate their license agreement with the content owners. Players like Roku or Amazon Fire TV might find themselves in legal trouble with the content owners. Mainly, Roku players have no ability to record anything. They don't have the storage space, and there's no way to attach storage to most players, even if it had the ability.

Roku TVs do have the ability to pause and playback OTA broadcasts, which requires a USB drive connected to the TV, but there's no way to access what is stored independently. And it doesn't act as a DVR to record something for later. If you removed the USB drive and tried to access the recording, it's not going to be in a supported format that can be played elsewhere. 

There are a couple of computer programs that claim to be able to record things like Netflix or Prime Video. It's been so long I've forgotten the program names, but those would only work on a computer and you would access the provider via their web page. 

Dan

0 Kudos
redappleone
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

could there be one

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I doubt it. Mostly for the legal reasons I mentioned, but also because there's no way to process and send the media stream to an external device for storage. While the Roku OS is based on Linux, it is a highly customized version and they remove all functionality that isn't needed for a streaming player. That is to make the OS as small as possible, to reduce the storage and operating requirements of the device. Since it's not designed to record (other than as mentioned for pausing live TV on a Roku TV), the functionality simply doesn't exist in the operating system. 

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Roku application is not as good as they are pretending, customer service is awful, and some bugs and errors appear. Back in the day, I tried to record my streams with the Roku services, and I found it not really comfortable. The software was always working unproperly, and the file size was always huge. The movavi application is much better now than the Roku app, especially if you want to record streams. Here's a good tutorial about how to set the movavi right https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/how-to-capture-streaming-video.html. Im sure it will help you with adjusting your recording properly.

0 Kudos