Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Re: "Protected content license error" on Roku Ultra ONLY

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

What firmware version fixed this? I am the original poster. I have no indication that anything was resolved, only many 'coming in the future' responses.

Roku Ultra (4800), Roku Premiere
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@gcurrie

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide more information about what you are currently seeing?

In addition, please provide the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to investigate the issue further as we believe this issue was previously resolved.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is the information I asked you for proprietary? Please let me know that instead of ignoring my direct question, otherwise I'd like to know the firmware versions for the Ultra that have an alleged fix.

I don't know if I my Roku Ultra is still experiencing an issue as the Seattle International Film Festival was the content provider and will not be presenting the festival until May 2022.

SIFF presents occasional VOD programs throughout the year, but I prefer to not gamble my $15-20 non-refundable ticket fee to troubleshoot a Roku issue. Spending time to improve your products is acceptable, but spending money is not.

You could have found the information you requested by looking at the first and third posts:

-Roku device model: 4800X Roku Ultra
-serial number: X01000MP7M44
-device ID: S02A20AP7M44
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About): 10.0.0 build 4209-C2 (updated June 23)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button): SIFF channel version 1.10 build 2

-tracker ID: I cannot pay $15-20 a pop to generate these for you.

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing:

From Roku Home screen, go to SIFF channel. Click on Ticket Holders/Enter Code. Enter a 9 digit voucher code (I can supply a used code if used within 48 hours). Submit the code. At the movie screen, click Play. 5-10 seconds in the error occurs.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@gcurrie

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

In addition, have you already reached out to the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny:

It has already been determined that the provider is not at fault - the Ultra does not work but the Premier does - with the same HDMI cable and AVR. A software fix was devised to solve this problem. Please, let's stick to the issue and forego starting another troubleshooting journey.

I keep asking the question and get no answer: WHAT VERSION OF FIRMWARE DO I NEED FOR MY ULTRA TO HAVE THE ALLEGED FIX?

0 Kudos
darcyr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

You have previously mentioned "We believe the issue that this thread was opened for has already been resolved."

Resolved in which firmware version? I have reports of users on Roku Ultra Model 4800X and Express 4K+ version encountering this error. 

As mentioned, it was determined that the provider was not the issue here and that there was some firmware / hardware change that needed to be made. What is the solution?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@darcyr

As stated previously in this thread, if you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide more information about what you are currently seeing?

In addition, please provide the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to investigate the issue further as we believe this issue was previously resolved.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Zackw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same issue on a Roku Ultra.  It doesn’t matter what cable is used.  The error can appear on any channel at any time.  I usually see a glitch in the picture, then the error screen occurs, then the picture comes back within 5 seconds.   This may happen once or twice a day, but it’s been a problem on two TVs and routed through two different Yamaha receivers.  The Roku tells me it’s running the latest firmware. 

0 Kudos
Red729491

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R , @gcurrie  and company. Is this fixed?  Just got a Roku and can’t get past it.

0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Obviously it is not fixed! Roku won't do anything at all unless you provide exhaustive evidence - and even then, they play coy. Six months ago I supplied all of this and never got any specific solution. All I got was 'we think we fixed it' and a demand to start from square one. Since it costs me $15-20 each time to lease a film, I end up paying money to test Roku's work (or lack of it). No thanks.

I'd recommend anyone experiencing this create your own thread, with all the steps to reproduce, rather than piggybacking. It sure hasn't worked so far for people to post 'me too' as we still don't have a fix.

Be aware that this ONLY affects the Roku Ultra. I have tried other Rokus and they work fine. If you have an Ultra and experience this, you might want to return it.

(I'm looking at Nvidia Shield for upcoming online film festivals. I've spent too much time on a product that looks like it will never work consistently for protected content.)

0 Kudos