Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

"Protected content license error" on Roku Ultra ONLY

Jump to solution

Hi:

I have a Roku Ultra (4800 series) (4800R, 2020 version) and a Roku Premiere (4620 series) .

I have each one set to 1920 HD as I have no 4K displays. Both report HDCP 1.4 as expected. Both are running software version 10.0.0 as of this morning.

I am trying to play the Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) films using the SIFF channel on the Rokus. Their back-end provider is a company called CineSend.

If I use the 2.4 GHz Premiere, DRM-protected film plays fine.

If I use the Ethernet/5GHz Ultra, I get an unrecoverable "protected content license error" within 5-10 seconds after starting play. Using the same HDMI cable and HDMI input as the Premiere (although I have swapped between 3 different cables and inputs during troubleshooting).

I have reset network settings/reset to factory settings on the Ultra after seeing this recommended. No change.

I saw that Disney+ users have had similar issues. Anyone know if Roku is even aware of this apparent Ultra-specific issue?

Roku Ultra (4800), Roku Premiere
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: "Protected content license error" on Roku Ultra ONLY

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience regarding the issue you are experience.

We believe we have found the cause of the issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

As stated previously in this thread, we believe we have found the cause of the issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update for all Roku devices.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @gcurrie,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.
Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

-Roku device model: 4800X Roku Ultra
-serial number: X01000MP7M44
-device ID: S02A20AP7M44
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About): 10.0.0 build 4165-C2
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button): SIFF channel version 1.10 build 2
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times): Issue ID 44-146-741
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing:

From Roku Home screen, go to SIFF channel. Click on Ticket Holders/Enter Code. Enter a 9 digit voucher code (I can supply a used code if used within 48 hours). Submit the code. At the movie screen, click Play. 5-10 seconds in the error occurs.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@gcurrie

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along the information you have provided to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks Danny. The film festival is over 4/18/2021, so any reproduction that requires access to the DRM files will need to be done by 11:59 PM PST.

0 Kudos
bbcpdx

Jump to solution

Hi

There is something specific to Roku Ultra DRM restrictions that blocks those films.  I had the same problem with another Film Festival.  They play fine on a Roku TV.   Note that on the SIFF page FAQ it says "Download or add the SIFF Channel app on Amazon Fire TV, Android TV (search for Seattle International Film Festival), Apple TV (Gen4 and above), or Roku (Software version 9.2 and above; not compatible with Roku Ultra)."  I'd be interested to know what exactly they're blocking.

bbcpdx

0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That not compatible with Roku Ultra text was recently added to the SIFF site at my suggestion, after wrestling with it for days. Smiley Frustrated If they had identified this beforehand, I would have saved $100 Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
bbcpdx

Jump to solution

Thanks for adding it -- I'd really like to know why the Ultra is different.  But I'm sure you helped some other folks avoid paying for things they couldn't watch.  I have access to a Roku TV so it did play there.  Very strange.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

We believe we have found the cause of the issue and expect this to be resolved in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gcurrie
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny:

Thanks for routing this to the proper team. I imagine it will be in an update, so I'll keep updating. If the update gets pushed out before Sunday, I'll test it and report back here!

0 Kudos